Votes: 2 13.3%
  • A Home Theater System w/ 5.1 Surround

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you listen to online audio (like the stuff people link here)?

Usually I wait until I'm in the studio so I can hear it on a good playback system. I prefer not to use headphones or earbuds for casual listening.

I'm interested because a lot of people listen to audio online and I'm wondering if I shouldn't gear certain mixes to earbuds or phone speakers...I already do something similar with broadcast audio and interactive stuff like games, but I'm wondering if peoples listening habits aren't continuing to change.

I usually reference mixes through three different sets of speakers and headphones - then I put it on in the car before I give it to the client.

At my house we stream the same audio all over the house through a stereo pair in most rooms. There's a volume control mounted on the wall by the light switch for each pair.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My pair of studio monitors is what I use mostly since I'm usually sitting at my PC when I'm online on sites with audio. But, I do sometimes listen with earbuds while using my laptop. Almost never listen to audio on my phone but I would plug in my earbuds if I did. My stereo system is not hooked in to the internet so CD/LPs only.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I listen on my phone, just using the phone's audio. I have headphones but they bother my ears.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My Audio-Technia ATH-M50X headphones or my Genelec 1031A speakers in my recording truck.

Sometimes ear buds or the speakers on my laptop.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Grado SR80e headphones or Sennheiser ie800 earphones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
I have a Bose Soundlink speaker that connects via Blue tooth to my computer.
I liked it very much at first, but now it is difficult to get it to sync with my computer.

On line reviews indicate that I'm not the only person to have this issue with the Bose.

Too bad, as when it works it's a nice sounding, compact speaker.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There’s really not a “usual” way for me. Sometimes it is just through my iPhone or laptop to see if it piques my interest. I listen through Beats headphones (scooped, but they Bluetooth easily to my iPhone) when working out or in my work office. Then I often Bluetooth into my car stereo, and then at home I have four different vintage-ish setups (Samsun/Infinity,Scott Klipsch, Marantz/Advent, Kenwood/Yamaha) on various rooms that I either hook to my iPhone or laptop through a cable through the audio out, or through a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the aux jacks. Then again sometimes it goes through a QSC powered speaker rehearsal space PA setup.

To echo Bari Sax Guy, I have a network of seven Bose Soundlink speakers streaming music from an iPad for my office. It is the most frustrating mess of an implementation of a system ever. Constantly cutting out one speaker or another, requiring reboots, restarts and long periods of silence. But pretty decent sound when they do work.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,937 Posts
I'm wondering if peoples listening habits aren't continuing to change.

I usually reference mixes through three different sets of speakers and headphones - then I put it on in the car before I give it to the client.
Car is always my final port of call for checking a mix, but probably not so relevant in this case as I would hope not many people watch Youtube while driving.

I remember in the old days we used to have these horrible speakers call Autratones that were supposed to give you a good idea of what a mix done on decent studio monitors would sound like on a crap speaker or old TV. All they did really was give you s good idea of what it would sound like on Auratones.

I do a lot of mixing for TV and back in the bday when a telly had one crap speaker, if something was to be mixed just for TV, then the only way to get a half decent bass was to compress it around 80 - 90hZ and roll off anything below that (which would do nothing apart from make things rattle)

These days TVs have good speakers so that concept is a bit pointless. My go-to system now is to mix normally on good studio monitors, then check back on headphones, then back to monitors but really really quiet. Then finally in the car.

If I can get a compromise that way it is probably the best I can hope for.

Doing the main mixing on a specific hi-fi speaker is a recipe for disaster.

And my golden rule: CHECK MONO COMPATIBILITY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts