Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! :) I am a grade 7 Saxophinist who uses a 2/a half Vandoran Reed. I was wondering how do I know when I should move onto a different Strength?
:O
I hope you can help.. ;)
Thankyou

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well...many here will probably say this, but what says you HAVE to move up? Some people stick with 2 1/2 reeds their whole life. Honestly, reed sizes aren't a measure of prowess, and if you're content with your sound, tone, control, and general playing, there's no need to switch sizes. And if you're lacking one of those things, don't just assume changing a reed will fix it (though it may). You're still a pretty young player, and perhaps not quite sure what kind of sound you want? At any rate, unless you truly feel a different reed size will help some aspect of your playing while not hurting others, then go for it. Just be careful, it's a slippery slope when you start looking for things to change.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I recently moved form 2.5 to 2. It was just a case of trying different reeds and seeing what works for you. It's important to test this over the whole range of the instruments at varying dynamics and tones to make sure you get what you want out of the horn.

Of course, if you have no problems with your current strength, there's no need to move up or down. It ain't broke...

·
Registered
565 Posts
+1

I recently went from V16 3.5 to green box java 3. I get much better response in the lower register with no change to my upper register and altissimo. The v16's were harsh sounding in the upper register on recordings. The Javas have fixed that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's the rule of thumb that I use: The reed must be soft enough to allow low Bb to be played ppp (assuming a leak-free horn) and hard enough to play high F# fff.

Regards Bo

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's the rule of thumb that I use: The reed must be soft enough to allow low Bb to be played ppp (assuming a leak-free horn) and hard enough to play high F# fff.

Regards Bo
+1 - a great rule. I've moved down to 2.5 now on a .115 piece with great success

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here's something else: try to make the comfort zone that you judge reeds on when they are somewhat old and dried out. If you judge reeds on how they are just out of the box, they most likely aren't going to stay that way for very long.

In other words, if a 2 1/2 feels great but then gets soft over time, and a 3 feels too hard at first and then softens over time to feel great, go with the 3.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Hello Everyone! :) I am a grade 7 Saxophinist who uses a 2/a half Vandoran Reed. I was wondering how do I know when I should move onto a different Strength?
:O
I hope you can help.. ;)
Thankyou
HI Groovy, I'm in middle school too and I also put this question to some of my instructors. Here's what I got from them! First, it depends on how well the marriage between your lips and your mouthpiece has progressed. Then I was told to think about what mouthpiece I use most often. I'm taking that to mean are we still on our 4C's or have we moved on to something else? For me, it's the Meyer 5M. I've been told that if you open up your mouthpiece, you might not wanna go to a harder reed, moving in the other direction might be the thing to do. Then I was asked about my air and the rate I tire at. Apparently, these things are important to most peeps like us,... not necessarily beginners, but just passing the point where we think we know it all, but in reality know just enough to be dangerous, stupid and little else. Most of these guys have been behind these horns for a lot of tic-tocs, and they've forgotten more than most middle school guys know to date. Their embouchures are prolly as good as it gonna get, while we're still waiting for our embouchures to show signs of facial hair. It was suggested to me to not so much think about a harder reed in the same model and type we're used to, but to try different reed types. I just bought a box of Vandoren V16's #2, a Fibracell medium soft, and a Legere #2. Coming from Rico Orange and Vandoren Blues, these should give me a lot of space to mess around and experiment. All of these fall in that space between a Rico 2.5 and a Vandoren 2,... a space I'm pretty comfortable with. So I agree with the advice to experiment and just look for whatever makes you comfy, but you might try experimenting across reed types and designs along with your experiments with reed strength within c certain reed type and brand. Oh,... I've also been told to not pay so much attention to labeling like this reed is for Jazz, that reed is for Classical, and that one way over there is for rock-n-roll. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Mr. Joe,... I wasn't trying to call anyone old,... actually I was trying to give props to where props were due. I could just identify with what the OP was asking because the same Q came rushing outta my a couple weeks back,... thought I'd chime in. No,... not old, just recognition of the tons experience in here. Didn't mean to be offensive,... honest!

·
Banned
593 Posts
hey we are old. and proud of it. you should challenge everyone you can. thats what being young is about. im jealous

i was also seeing if anyone would rise to your challenge.

sometimes, we just think we know stuff. some things must be experienced to be learned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts