Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a way for me to double tongue, but I don't know if I'm doing it right.
From what I know, you pronounce the syllables, "Tu-Ku".
And with the Ku syllable, your tongue isn't hitting the reed and goes somewhere.
Am I correct or no?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It goes away from the reed.
I say in the direction of the roof of my mouth I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
It's more of a Tuh-Kuh than a Too-Koo. Another way is say Duh-Guh. You can also flip the syllables around if it works better for you. What's important is that one articulation is done but tonging the reed as normal and the other is done by the mid/back part of the tongue hitting the roof of your mouth. And as mentioned above, the trick is to get both articulations to sound the same.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
It's a looong process - one of those things you need to keep doing without much "aha" or noticeable progress.

The big issues:

a. coordinating the front and back halves of your tongue so they're in thythm with each other. Sound simple? Try tap dancing sitting down - tap the toe and then heel, and try to make an even rhythm. Now make it fast! *gulp* See what I mean???

b. taming the back of the tongue - which we usually move to adjust pitch - and finding a way to move it without making the pitch bend. I don't have an analogy for this - I've been messing with it 10 years and still can't do more than one du gu in a row.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You're in south Texas, right? Sooner or later you need some expert lessons. I suggest a trip across the border.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
17,592 Posts
You're in south Texas, right? Sooner or later you need some expert lessons. I suggest a trip across the border.
Just a couple of lessons and he will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts