Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, my new thing to practice will be modulating keys. , changing keys during my solo. anyone got any practicing tips that will help wrap my head around this new found phenomenon? i dont have all the keys memorized well yet.. what are the pre requisites for modulating?
thanks

mickey

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you mean like on standards? or like on a static chord? Or just by yourself? If you mean over like standards with functional harmony, Dave Liebman has a book out about superimposing different changes over a tune....

If it's over a static chord to get a different sound, I just play by ear but I have an image in my mind of the key i'm thinking in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i mean say theres 2 bars of say,, G, and then 2 of Eb, and then another 2 of G. how can i practice playing fluently between the 2 keys, my mind gets confused, i know the theory of what scale to use for what chord and stuff, but in tunes like on green dolphin street, with the 4 keys in the first part, my head just gets confused thinking in differnt keys. i just really started trying this tonight, do you think it will get easier?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure how much harmony you know...but once you analyze a tune, it's just a matter of learning the scales and possible notes for each chord. On Green Dolphin Street the first six bars are 2 of Cmaj, 2 of Ebmaj, 1 Dmaj, 1 Dbmaj. the Cmaj would take ionian, and the other three would take the respective lydian scales. Try just playing chord tones first, or just running the scales with a play-along. Then look for places where the chords voice-lead nicely, where there are half-steps between chord tones when changing chords. This should help you get the sound in your head.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Start with something like Aebersold's Dominant 7th workout book. Most of it is arranged in the cycle of 5ths and will get you going on the various 7th chords/scales in all 12 keys. You could spend a long time just on that book alone.

·
Registered
647 Posts
garbageman007 said:
i mean say theres 2 bars of say,, G, and then 2 of Eb, and then another 2 of G. how can i practice playing fluently between the 2 keys, my mind gets confused, i know the theory of what scale to use for what chord and stuff, but in tunes like on green dolphin street, with the 4 keys in the first part, my head just gets confused thinking in differnt keys. i just really started trying this tonight, do you think it will get easier?
It should definitely get easier the more often you do it. The key is repetition. It may help if you memorize all the parts in the same keys first (I mean memorize all parts in G first. After you've got that, memorize all parts in Eb, etc). Once you done that then it will be easier to memorize the sequence in which these different keys are played. Good luck!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
In Jerry Coker's Patterns for Jazz, he has exercises where you play C ascending, F descending etc. around the cycle of fifths. Also do the same with chromatic, and diatonic.

Next, do the same with arpeggios.

You'll be modulating like a madman once you these down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts