Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 2 Links for jazz, a custom Tone Edge 6 and a Stock STM 6*.
Is there any why to get the fat tone, buzz, through out the registers.

I used mainly my stock STM with a LaVoz reed, and I keep getting something else, the opposite.

I keep getting something like Stan Getz, Lester Young vibe in my playing. (Probably because I listen to them the most LOL.)

But I recently I leaned more to the Sonny Rollins, Stan Turrentine, maybe Michael Brecker, tone.

I'm just wondering how I could change up my tone, because when I play the same note as somebody like this, there is no buzz, edge, etc., it just sounds pure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Bright tone comes from slight poisoning of the player, due to the residual transference of lead found commonly on swab weights.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Have you tried going down in reed strength or maybe trying a plasticover?
Or maybe do as Gary suggests.... Use the "Search Function".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried going down in reed strength or maybe trying a plasticover?
Or maybe do as Gary suggests.... Use the "Search Function".
Haha, yes I did, I went down and up, and I haven't used plasticover yet, but I've tried Java Green and Red, Vandoren Traditional, Rico Orange, Rico Royal, Alexander DC and Classique, Rico Jazz Selects (I kept trying them, but I never had them to work), LaVoz, Gonzales, Bari Star, Hahns, V12, Rico Reserve, Brancher Jazz, Brancher Classic.

Um, well these are all the reeds that I used in my lifetime, but I've never had had the tone I'm looking for right now. (well I never will, but you get the point) I only have used my V5 T20, Link STM and Tone Edge, and Selmer S80's, and I have never used a different mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Haha, yes I did, I went down and up, and I haven't used plasticover yet, but I've tried Java Green and Red, Vandoren Traditional, Rico Orange, Rico Royal, Alexander DC and Classique, Rico Jazz Selects (I kept trying them, but I never had them to work), LaVoz, Gonzales, Bari Star, Hahns, V12, Rico Reserve, Brancher Jazz, Brancher Classic.

Um, well these are all the reeds that I used in my lifetime, but I've never had had the tone I'm looking for right now. (well I never will, but you get the point) I only have used my V5 T20, Link STM and Tone Edge, and Selmer S80's, and I have never used a different mouthpiece.
As far as inexpensive mouthpieces go, you could find a good Berg larsen mouthpiece. Or maybe find a nice Link STM metal mouthpiece reworked to be on the brighter side. I had one done by Sakshama and it was great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
You could try a high baffle mouthpiece. The most inexpensive one is Metalite. It will only cost you about $25 to find out what it does to your sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I agree on the Metalite. The Links are fairly large chambered and get a great fat sound but even though I used a 6* for years, I currently have a Rico Metalite in a M5 which is about the same tip as you use. Give one a try at under $30 and you may have a nice addition to your mouthpiece arsenal. I find them to have a lot of edge but still can have a center to the tone. Today I was going through my tenor mouthpieces getting ready to sell a few and the M5 is a keeper.

·
7,866 Posts
I keep getting something like Stan Getz, Lester Young vibe in my playing. (Probably because I listen to them the most LOL.)
There's the answer to your question. As long as you have the Getz/Young sound in your head/ears, you will produce that sort of sound regardless what mouthpiece or reed you use.
Start listening a LOT to the guys you want to sound like, and try to emulate their sound by adjusting air, throat and embouchure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
2 things come to mind:
1) cover less reed with your lip -- take in more mouthpiece and/or roll in less (or no) lip, the important thing is dampen as little reed as possible.
2)more baffle. there is no shortage of high baffle moutphieces at various price points. Easiest thing to start with is build a temporary one in one of your Links with some plasticine or silly putty or pretty much anything else you can shape and remove.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
You could try a high baffle mouthpiece. The most inexpensive one is Metalite. It will only cost you about $25 to find out what it does to your sound.
I agree, preferably with a wide tip...& while you are about it, slip on a Fibracell baritone reed.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Blow harder. The speed of the airstream will make your sound brighter. That is what the high baffle does or the vortex neck that is used in Miller Lite bottles.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Blow harder. The speed of the airstream will make your sound brighter. That is what the high baffle does or the vortex neck that is used in Miller Lite bottles.
+5

Visualize blowing THROUGH the horn - not just blowing harder INTO it.

Have we already had the conversation(s) about tongue position? It all comes together to control air stream and tone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Practice overtones.
Trying to match high C using low C fingering (overblown 2 octaves) to high C using the normal fingering has been very efficient for me on my journey towards the Turrentine sound.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright I guess I'll think of these things when I'm playing.

I think I have the Air down (I'll probably post a video later), so I am now considering a cheap high baffle mouthpiece.

So just to repeat, just to be clear on what type of tone that I am looking for. (not in any order)
  1. Sonny Rollins (60's, Tenor Madness, St. Thomas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2XIWZxMKM&feature=player_embedded)
  2. Stanley Turrentine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjYm6iRZ1o&feature=related
  3. Something like Michael Brecker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoQ1jmoxAUA
They sound different from each other, but I hope you know where I'm getting at, because IMHO they have a similar timbre to their tone. I can't really describe it except for, overtones in their sound, and I'm guessing that they all play high baffle mouthpieces.
---
I don't recall talking about tongue positions yet..... Dr G (I don't know to what to refer to you as haha), but my practical experiences with it isn't really advanced, (I can't play altissimos above G on tenor).

·
4,507 Posts
This is leaving all joking aside. Get a harmony clarinet. You'll do your band a service and you'll do YOURSELF in the sax playing department the biggest favor you can do to your sax playing. THAT's (harmony clarinets, like alto, bass, etc) shaping, moving and learning what to do with the airstream.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is leaving all joking aside. Get a harmony clarinet. You'll do your band a service and you'll do YOURSELF in the sax playing department the biggest favor you can do to your sax playing. THAT's (harmony clarinets, like alto, bass, etc) shaping, moving and learning what to do with the airstream.
How much do they cost? I don't exactly know what a harmony clarinet is, are they like recorders?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
How much do they cost? I don't exactly know what a harmony clarinet is, are they like recorders?
:faceinpalm:

·
4,507 Posts
I'll tell you what... let me dig on my spare horns drawer. If I find a cheap BUescher HR alto clarinet that I think I recall I have, I'll send it to you free of charge, as long as you commit to give it away to a youngster in need of guidance when you've "seen the light". You'll just have to spring some bucks for a hite premier MPC and commit to give the horn away free of charge to the next generation of reed players in need of enlightment (or bare with karma's punishment)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll tell you what... let me dig on my spare horns drawer. If I find a cheap BUescher HR alto clarinet that I think I recall I have, I'll send it to you free of charge, as long as you commit to give it away to a youngster in need of guidance when you've "seen the light". You'll just have to spring some bucks for a hite premier MPC and commit to give the horn away free of charge to the next generation of reed players in need of enlightment (or bare with karma's punishment)
Oh now I understand what you mean.
I just never used terminologies such as "Harmony clarinet", so I got a little confused there.

I would really appreciate that anyway, and yes, I agree to the terms haha, let me just email you in a moment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts