Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone Googles for a jazz musician - let's say 'jazz trio' - what criteria gets a persons web site to come up on the first page of the search?

While I have a web site I have no real idea what gets my site to come up in web searches and if I knew perhaps I could get more hits to my site from potential clients for bookings. I have accounts with Gigmasters and Sonicbids and so on and I know that these kinds of sites get hits but what I am trying to figure out is what can I do - if anything - to get direct hits to my own site?

I don't know enough about how the web operates to figure this out so I thought I'd see if there are some experts here.

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Re: How do you geneate web site 'hits' on searches??

I would make a list of search words that people would type that you want your site to come up with. For example: Jazz trio ottawa. Don't pick too many words! Then you want to make sure those words are really heavy on your site. You want to do it so it's natural though and not weird. Writing Ottawa jazz trio 10,000 times on your home page won't do it. You'll get banned from google for that as that is cheating. Google is looking for real content. It would also help to change your jazz page to have the URL with "Ottawa jazz trio" or "East side trio". Putting those in the URL is a big deal. Right now you have "sound clips" which doesn't help at all. Also the page title is "The Jazz Page-music samples"which doesn't help at all either. Pick words for those things that are from your list of words people will search for.

You can also register your business with Google. I can't remember how but you put the name of the company and town so you could put "Ottawa East Side Jazz Trio" or something like that. I forgot how to do that it's been so long.

There's a lot more you can do. There's books and books of stuff out there on this subject. This will get you started down the right path though. Hope it helps.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,945 Posts
Re: How do you geneate web site 'hits' on searches??

There's books and books of stuff out there on this subject.
The subject's name is "Search Engine Optimisation" (SEO), look that up and you'll have more info than you can deal with on the subject which is very big business.

Neff has given all the main pointers. Other things to do are to get those key words into headers as well as page titles (especially the main page "h1" header.

If you have two or three phrases, optimise a page for each phrase.

Google gives preference to older sites, pages with lots of links inbound and pages with real content, ie writing not just lists and pictures. You are very unlikely to be able to compete for "jazz trio" and expect to beat all the existing pages, so as Neff said, go for more of a niche such as a locality which is where you'll get most of your business anyway.

To get inbound links get friends to link to your site, submit the site to directories (but the good ones that actually have any use with Google do cost money) but ideally it's best to get links form sites that Google sees as important sites, not very easy.

With search phrases you need to work out what people actually put into google, though. For example sopme people might be looking for a jazz band for a wedding in Ottawa. They may not use the word trio as they probably don't yet know how many people they want, so they might search for

jazz band

They'll then get millions of irrelevant hits, so they refine their search to

jazz band in Otttawa and yours my come up on page 1 or two if you are lucky.

They may still be a bit overwhelmed and so refine their search to jazz band for wedding in Ottawa.

Those bands who have a page optimised for those words are likely to get that particular call.

Sadly a lot of people might search for cheap jazz band for wedding in Ottawa :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

Back in 2003, I wanted to do this with my companies website. One of the best methods I found with to use similar search phrase for a different city. Take the top website from that search and then figure out what made it number one. You might try "Jazz Band Toronto", "Jazz Band Detroit" or something like that.

On a side note, before doing this for my company website, I experimented with a fan website to figure out how to do it. That website, first put up in 2003, is still usually number one or number two for the search phrase I wanted. It even beats out "real science" and official websites on the subject. And even though I'm not huge crazy fan of this subject, my information has actually made it into games and official information sources. Here's the search:

http://www.google.com/search?source...313&=&q=daedalus+star+ship&btnG=Google+Search

My site is the one that starts out by talking about the year, 2156. And notice my link to SOTW at the bottom of the page. :bluewink:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,945 Posts
One thing to remember is to be realistic, always think of marketing from your client's POV.

e.g. a pure "Jazz Club" is not going to search for the bands it books on the internet, they will most likely only book bands they know of through the circuit, word of mouth, press, etc. Those clubs you must be more active in pursuing.

The gigs you might get by being searched for would be for the more commercial gigs, e.g. weddings, corporate etc. People will also search for certain types of jazz, so decide if you play them or not. What might they want? dixieland, background, swing, dance, jump, blues, smooth etc. It's unlikely somebody would search for a hard bop or freeform band. Again, that is the realm of the jazz club and they will book established bands

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - I hear ya about the style and clubs, Pete. Most of my bookings are the one-of kinds for weddings and corporate events so I need the kind of search that turns up for those folks.

Neat web site - and I love the alien!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts