Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you dress for a gig? do you have a different "costume" for different venues? Maybe just a different hat? if youre playing at a theater show the audience doesnt really see you unless they look in the pit so do you wear holey jeans? Do you go naked to the nudist camp gig? should you look poor for playing on the street corner? How about a sign "will play for food" or "please help my children". Maybe dress in hunter orange to make sure cars dont hit you and everyone see you.

I guess im trying to point out that it is a performance with acting and costumes. Its not just about the music. So i wondered how many of you are paying attention to it.

:)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I always dress well but with a bit of something extra

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,210 Posts
I almost always wear ALL black - Jeans if it's a bar gig BUT Black Shirt has become my gig-iform. I gave up trying to look cool when I realized I wasn't cool.

·
Registered
385 Posts
First off, dress for the venue.
+1. Or dress in a way that shows you are thinking about who your audiencec is. Or as is the case with our summer municipal band, we have a dress code. Black pants, (or skirt for the ladies), and white shirt. Also, since I play bari in a Tower Of Power tribute band, I'm thinking of wearing suspenders and a hat!

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,022 Posts
I almost always wear ALL black - Jeans if it's a bar gig BUT Black Shirt has become my gig-iform. I gave up trying to look cool when I realized I wasn't cool.
+1 Can't go wrong with black. But, hey, I thought I was being cool with black...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
First, you ask what the dress is from whomever is hiring you. Seems silly you didn't even consider that.

Theater…..black….though I wear red converse shoes….

How do you dress for a gig? do you have a different "costume" for different venues? Maybe just a different hat? if youre playing at a theater show the audience doesnt really see you unless they look in the pit so do you wear holey jeans? Do you go naked to the nudist camp gig? should you look poor for playing on the street corner? How about a sign "will play for food" or "please help my children". Maybe dress in hunter orange to make sure cars dont hit you and everyone see you.

I guess im trying to point out that it is a performance with acting and costumes. Its not just about the music. So i wondered how many of you are paying attention to it.

:)

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Yeah naked is cool..we did it with my rock band it at the Peace & Freedom Party's Rally one fine NYE in SF back in the Hippie days..the crowd was clothing optional as well.

Had a gorgeous blonde babe electric Violinist in the band too.

(ps: this is a true story)

Back to the thread, Black is usually the ticket in Vegas, whether it's just Shirt and Slacks a Black Suit or Tux. I wore a White Tux Jacket in the midnite idol's show 6 nites a week. Most all of the Sax players in Vegas are pretty sharp dressers. Although at a recent Jam I saw a sax-playin' cat who was picture perfect for that Lumberjack show on TV..I mean logging boots, high top Jeans, thick red plaid flannel shirt, cap and everything..quite a sight among the various and mostly very well-dressed entertainers.
Like the old saying says "dress for success"

.....unless you're working for Springsteen in which case yer Jeans and T-shirt will work just fine

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,861 Posts
I'm with A Greene, a black shirt is always a safe bet, except in restaurants where the wait staff has to dress in all black! Someone might try to order an appetizer when you walk by. Last night I played a gig and without any planning, everyone showed up in a black shirt. Not exactly matching shirts, but it did look kind of cool to see each person's interpretation.

A person who used to post here but got himself banned offered this nugget of wisdom on the subject: "When you walk through the door, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that you are with the band". I don't think I'd go the full Elton John route, but it makes sense to put a little extra effort into how you look, after all you are the entertainment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,125 Posts
I've had several people tell me they're so tired of bands and musicians wearing all black. It's dull and old. When I wore the red shirt that's in my avatar for a concert gig, a woman in the audience thanked me for adding some color to the all-black look of the band.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,229 Posts
I wear whatever the bandleader asks for. If no dress code, I wear a more colorful aloha shirt than I wear generally like these, and appropriate jeans or dockers. My feet get treated right with running/walking shoes.

For the past couple of years, my aloha shirts have featured fish rather than foliage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,136 Posts
Most concert jobs=tux. Pit jobs=all black as not to give light reflection from the stage. For my concert band, the musicians wear formal style (tux) and I wear tux pants, black shirt with a red bow tie. Can't conduct well in a jacket!

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Well if specifics are called for

Afternoon black pants black shirt cafe au lait cashmere jacket black shoes

Evenings grey slacks grey shirt bow tie and royal blue silk dinner jacket blue suede shoes

And to to it off that convenient piece of headgear for the cult of the follically challenged a beret

I was told as a young man if you dress sloppily at a gig you had better be able to play way better than anyone else or people might get an odd impression. I don't know if that still applies, but I do know that the older I get the better I have to dress in order to get good service or listened to. Last year in school I tried the jeans thing for a bit. I got the impression that the young 'uns were dismissive or uncomfortable. When I dress well they seem much more at ease. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts