Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm having a frustrating issue. I use Vandoren 3.5 reeds, and it seems like almost every reed in the multiple boxes I have been purchasing is really bright and buzzy, I would even call it brassy. I feel like there's nothing I can do for these reeds - shaving or sanding them won't help, because they're already very easily playable, that's why they're so raucous. I had this problem with the 3s, and it seemed fine when I moved up to 3.5s. 4s just seems ridiculous to me; they take such a long time to stop sounding airy. Anyway, I play classically and I'm going for an even, smooth, rich sound. Any suggestions on how to doctor these bright and buzzy reeds? I can't afford to keep buying new boxes.
Oh, I play a Selmer C* Soloist, if that helps at all.

Thanks so much,
Brittney

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Brittney,

First of all, are you talking about Vandoren Traditional reeds? If so, it's curious why 3.5's are sounding like that. On the other hand, if you're talking about Vandoren ZZ then it would make perfect sense.

I might be going out on a limb, without seeing the reeds, but it sounds like they need to be balanced. The ATG Reed Finishing system can be a good way to balance your reeds and (hopefully!) get them in performance condition. The ATG comes with a book and video that shows you how to identify reed problems and how to correct them.

Also, Vandoren reeds have reputation among some players as being inconsistant. The problems you're having may be a sign to look for another brand that gives you better results. Gonzales or Alexander Classique are good alternatives....especially, for classical players.

Good luck!

Roger

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I was just noticing that today. I went through three new reeds just to find one that wasn't so...buzzy. Its like buying a box of ten but only really buying 5 because thats all you can about use.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
I was just noticing that today. I went through three new reeds just to find one that wasn't so...buzzy. Its like buying a box of ten but only really buying 5 because thats all you can about use.
Naw, just keep the other five for twenty years and sell them as 'vintage'.:D

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Oh yeah, Hakukani. I wasn't being sarcastic either.

I'm putting feathers on this bari reed right now.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
change make of reeds . Try Alexander Superial . I get up to 8 out of 10 good reeds with them. I really went off Rico last year after 20 years on them.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
I'm putting feathers on this bari reed right now.
Why, exactly? We're all dying to know but i'm the only one stupid enough to ask.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
No. I paint them. :)
Yes, I know what goes on in band room storage. Actually, I do have old reeds. I'm trying to figure how much to sell them to a sax player that frequents here.

·
5,316 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Why, exactly? We're all dying to know but i'm the only one stupid enough to ask.
Alas, RTT, you are not alone. I mean, I can get the "feathers on the reed" sound straight out of the box; can't everyone?:?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Feathers aside, any suggestions as to what I can do with the reeds I have, seeing as money is tight and all? (college student, you know how it is...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
shaunliu said:
Use V16 in vandoren, they are very dark reeds won't buzz for sure

Those reeds are about the brightest and edgiest cane reeds you can buy...

·
5,316 Posts
britt,

Welcome to SOTW, where we sometimes take our eye off the ball to have a little fun. Sorry. :)

Would it work for you to use the bright reeds for practice? Either save the few good ones for recitals etc., or get another brand for recitals. Roger Aldridge mentioned Alexander Classique, and I would also suggest them.

·
2,666 Posts
Britt,

Cane inconsistency finally drove me over the edge a couple of years ago. I used cane for 30+ years. Then, after a classical clarinet buddy suggested I try Legere everything changed.

Legere is the ONLY synthetic reed I truly like. Synthetic reeds are not for everyone. For some players it can only be cane and I respect that. I have a reputation for being very picky about my sound and equipment. The most subtle thing can bother me. With that in mind, I've come to prefer the quality of my sound on each of my horns with Legere.

The regular Legere reed (not the Studio version) is based on the profile of Vandoren Traditional. It gives me the dark, warm, resonant sound and strong tonal core I want. There are times when I dust off my favorite cane reeds and give them another try. For whatever reason, I find that I'm happier with my sound and overall performance with Legere.

This could be another option to consider.

Good luck!

Roger

1 - 20 of 32 Posts