Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about this but I woke up in the middle of the night with these words rolling around in my head...

Forget Webster. What is your definition of the word "Saxophone"?

OK, I'll start so I can sleep tonight.

Saxophone:
A curious amalgam of brass, cane, leather and pearl. Played by many yet mastered by few,
it can provide a window to the soul for both the performer and the listener.

Thanks for playing. :mrgreen:

GPD

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
One of a group of single-reed woodwind instruments ranging from soprano to bass and characterized by a conical metal tube and finger keys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of a group of single-reed woodwind instruments ranging from soprano to bass and characterized by a conical metal tube and finger keys.
Good baseline...N. Webster I believe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Good baseline...N. Webster I believe.
Merriam-Webster, actually. To be honest, I'm just not one for idolatry. To me, a saxophone is an instrument. A saxophone player, though, can use a saxophone to produce something ranging from appallingly horrible to utterly sublime; so I guess in that sense, the instrument is worthy of appreciation.

But I would add that a great saxophone is a tremendous thing to have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,816 Posts
Everyone here knows what a saxophone is. There are extremes to the definition of the instrument that sometimes get people to disagree. For example, is Benedikt Eppelsheim's small bore compact Tubax a true contrabass saxophone? Are the novelty "saxophones" from the past, some with no keys, saxophones?
My own opinion is, if it has a relatively large conical bore and it has a single reed, it's a saxophone.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
It's an ill wind that nobody blows any good.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Have you seen this from The London Daily News circa 1926? I think it's hilarious.

The saxophone is a long metal instrument bent at both ends. It is alleged to be musical. As regards markings, the creature has a series of tiny taps stuck upon it, apparently at random. These taps are very sensitive; when touched they cause the instrument to utter miserable sounds suggesting untold agony. Sometimes it bursts into tears. At either end there is a hole. People, sometimes for no reason at all, blow down the small end of the saxophone which then shrieks and moans as if attacked by a million imps of torture. The shrieks issue from the large end. So do the moans. The saxophone comes from where the black-eyed Susans grow and coal-black mammies flourish. The concensus of opinion is that it should have stayed there.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Have you seen this from The London Daily News circa 1926?
The saxophone comes from where the black-eyed Susans grow and coal-black mammies flourish. The concensus of opinion is that it should have stayed there.
Ah, those "good old days".. :)

I shall say "a cross between an out of tune clarinet and and overly complex trumpet".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
A magnet that attracts the psychologically impaired.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
What a clarinet aspired to be but failed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts