Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Slide or side? I mean... are you saying your horn doesn't have the added high F# key, or do you mean it doesn't have a front F key? If it's the former, all the fingerings in the world aren't going to help you if you don't blow the right way to get up there. You need to squeeze the air a bit by raising the back of your tongue towards the roof of your mouth. I use octave, front F, right hand 1 (F) and side Bb, but it won't work if you don't blow properly. If you mean the latter, instead of the front F as described above, use right hand 1 (B) and 3 (G) or 1, 2 (A) and 3 with right hand 1 and side Bb.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Slide or side? I mean... are you saying your horn doesn't have the added high F# key, or do you mean it doesn't have a front F key? If it's the former, all the fingerings in the world aren't going to help you if you don't blow the right way to get up there. You need to squeeze the air a bit by raising the back of your tongue towards the roof of your mouth. I use octave, front F, right hand 1 (F) and side Bb, but it won't work if you don't blow properly. If you mean the latter, instead of the front F as described above, use right hand 1 (B) and 3 (G) or 1, 2 (A) and 3 with right hand 1 and side Bb.
Very good point. I was assuming the extra F# key was missing, that you played down with the right hand! Not the front F. My bad.

(Also didn't specify it my first post but it's assumed octave key must be pressed too. )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
the XOX|XOO gotta be the most reliable altissimo position I ever played on my tenors for high F#. Then I use XOX|OXX for high G and actually depending on the stream velocity you can get high F or high G

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use the XOX|XOO as well but with the added lower Eb. Very stable and easy. To go a whole step up to a G# just add the side C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts