Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making an application tape for Dave Liebman's saxophone master class and need some tips on, like I said in the title, impressing Dave Liebman. I will be playing Donna Lee by Charlie Parker, Skylark by Hoagy Carmichael and Vicissitudes by Chris Potter.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
314 Posts
You won't. The audition recording is to see if you're sufficiently ready for his class. Play your best and mail it in.

·
Registered
677 Posts
listen to the records and play what you learned from the transcriptions you've made (the ones you've made yourself, not the ones you've bought or found in the web).

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
You can't impress Liebs. You can, however, show him where you are in your musical journey.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Follow the advice you see here, its the real deal.

I am going to be there, so if you get in please say hello. I'll be the old guy.:mrgreen:

Do have have anything you've recorded live at a gig or jam session? Thats what Lieb is looking for first. If not, then something recorded with an Aebersold backing track, a standard tune. Give him one or two tracks at most.

Good luck!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Liebs' BS meter pegs quickly and accurately. Above all, be sincere.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just play and let the Jones take care of itself. Be ready for an INTENSE week that you will be dealing with for lets say, the rest of your life......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
You won't.
Seconded. Check out Michael Zilber's reminiscences on studying with Dave. Liebman's philosophy is that you're on an apprenticeship, and you're not where you need to be unless your mastery is obvious to an inner circle of great players.

As Michael puts it, "Life can be a bitch, so why should jazz be different?"

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Zilber's article is brilliant. Thanks a lot, paulwl! It inspired me to practice even more. Now on to the practice room ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,723 Posts
Seconded. Check out Michael Zilber's reminiscences on studying with Dave. Liebman's philosophy is that you're on an apprenticeship, and you're not where you need to be unless your mastery is obvious to an inner circle of great players.
... and by then you won't care about "impressing" others.

Ever read Richard Feynman's "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
You don't have to impress others in this context. You do have to live up to their standards - in fact make them your own.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Thanks for the Zilber article. Lots to reflect on in that one

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Gold.....solid gold. Just sent the link to all my students.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts