Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to put this in Late Bloomers, but I didn't see anywhere else to put it. Ok, I need a good instruction book or set of instruction videos to make the EWI USB to work. I found one good video on the topic, but it says I have to buy another piece of equipment/software to make it work. I don't want to do this. I have a Dell Laptop (windows 7) which has the included software installed, the USB cord, a small bass amp and the instrument itself. Of course nothing happens when I try to play it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Make sure you have the latest Aria updates and Ewi updates.
Check the usb cable that is not faulty.
Connect it to a USB port not a hub cause they may not provide power to EWI.Now it should work (if there is no problem in the settings on device manager and windows audio mixer) but it will have too high latency from the computer headphone outs.
For best performance with no latency you need a sound interface.

·
Administrator
17,295 Posts
Try the Electronic Equipment sub-forum under General Discussion. You'll find a lot of tech savvy people there.
Thread moved.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lareggub,

OK, I have the computer plugged into my amp with the EWI interface running. I chose the alto sax for the top line, the rest of the lines are empty. if use my mouse, I can play the notes on the keyboard on the bottom and get a nice sound. The instrument is plugged into the computer USB port. The green light on the instrument is on, but it soon goes off (is it supposed to stay on?). I downloaded the Aria and Ewi updates which seem to be the same. The down loaded updates won't run because "porpotaudio-x86.dll" does not exist. I have three laptops; I think I'll try another one.

Do I have to set up anything on the computer? Do I have to set up anything on the EWI interface?

·
Registered
573 Posts
You need to connect the Ewi to the computer first and then start the Aria Software !!
It may sound strange but lots of usb devices dont work cause the cable is faulty. Try different cables.
Also disconnect any usb devices cause they might cause conflicts.
Check in the Aria tool preferences that you have selected the right Midi device (EWI)Also in EWI configuration and performance controls*select midi channel 1 for the ewi.
In the main Aria window select channel 1 and assign an instrument to it. Select it .
For the missing porpotaudio-x86.dll try to uninstall the software and install the updated version.
Also check
https://www.dll-files.com/portaudio_x86.dll.html

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice. It's working. I plugged the instrument in before opening the interface. I went inside the preferences and checked "EWI in". Then went into EWI config and put saxophone in fingerings. Then I picked trombone as a instrument. It certainly is weird to play. I can't get the low C1 unless I play the higher C2 and roll down and octave. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I can't get the low C1 unless I play the higher C2 and roll down and octave. Is this normal?
have you tried taking your thumb off the rollers when playing the lowest octave?

(i also got to say, the real fun comes then you start playing it with software a little more ambitious than what comes with it. so many great emulations and synth plugs out there.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts