Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be in the process of purchasing and old Conn 26M. The horn is going to being re-padded before I try it out. I was asked what kind of pads would I want on it. My natural thinking would be to set up the horn with pads similar to what it originally had when it was first sold. Now-a-days there are all kinds of resonators and pad materials so how is someone supposed to know what would be best for this type of horn?

What would the sax-on-the-web community recommend and what can you all tell me about how to select pads for my horn.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you can keep the original resos, that would be best in terms of resale value. Otherwise, if you have a strong preference for a different style of resonator and you don't care about everything being original, that's okay too. As far as make of pad, I have MusicMedic Roopads in my Buescher and love them. I keep meaning to put them in my tenor also, but have been putting off the time/effort/money for now. The Connquerors were supposed to be the best horns Conn put out. Happy shopping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I may be in the process of purchasing and old Conn 26M. The horn is going to being re-padded before I try it out. I was asked what kind of pads would I want on it. My natural thinking would be to set up the horn with pads similar to what it originally had when it was first sold. Now-a-days there are all kinds of resonators and pad materials so how is someone supposed to know what would be best for this type of horn?

What would the sax-on-the-web community recommend and what can you all tell me about how to select pads for my horn.
Awesome horn! You might ask Matt Stohrer (aka adbadcliche)--he has some serous pad mojo going on!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Original resopads might be ok for resale. However, the original Conn pad has a ring around the outside and its leather acts more like a trampoline for seating. I would opt for a modern harder pad. Get a good technician to do this. If it had all resopads that were seating and you were just changing a few, it would make sense to keep them. But, if you are redoing the whole thing, use a better system, in my opinion. There are many good pads, and a good technician usually has their own favorite. That usually means that they are familiar with how to best seat and work with them. Roo pads, different resonators, there are a lot of choices. A good tech can guide you, but make sure the job is done well.

-anchorsax

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
the orginal resos are not replaceable on reso pads... also the resopads were orginally designed ot be installed with no shellac i believe (i have worked on a few conns that had no shellac behind the reso pads). the most important thing is that the pads seat well with no leaks. i would defer to your tech, this forum makes a lot more out of pad choice than there really needs to be.

as for resos, you have a few choices, again, discuss it with the tech you have do the horn. they should be able to explain your options to you.

i would highly advise any customer of mine against using the reso pad style pads, there is no need to use them and i do not care for the cheap small resos that come installed on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.