Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Practice,practice, practice and then go away and try more practice. As far as I can tell it's the only way ( i'm talking to myself as well here)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Practice a @#$&-load.

There's a popular theory that you need 10 000 hours of practice to become a true expert at something, maybe someone else can provide a link to it.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
This video was just linked on another thread but I thought it was a good example of spending some quality time with your sax, which is what you have to do.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Everything....scales, chords, long tones etc and when you are just watching television keep playing them with just your fingers so that the muscle reflexes become automatic (ie. even when you are not blowing!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Practice, for sure. Play with other players, especially ones better than you. Play a variety of styles of music. Take lessons with a good instructor. Rinse and repeat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,403 Posts
I think that like with everything else it is a combination of talent and being focussed to the point of being a maniac ( Bird said he was practicing 10 to 15 hors a day in his very young years......).......but all the practice of the world won't make up for any lack of talent and all the talent in the world won't bring you that far without lots of practice

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,458 Posts
I just ran some basic calculations on that 10K hour thing. That is ~3.5 years of 8 hours of practice every day. Roughly what you might put into a performance degree. So that will get you to the expert level, but I'm thinking that is not quite enough for the virtuoso level.

·
6,862 Posts
Study my development as a player over the last 10 years very carefully, and then do the exact opposite.

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just ran some basic calculations on that 10K hour thing. That is ~3.5 years of 8 hours of practice every day. Roughly what you might put into a performance degree. So that will get you to the expert level, but I'm thinking that is not quite enough for the virtuoso level.
I dunno, I don't know any of my peers who can honestly say they practice 8 hours a day EVERY DAY. I'm in a performance degree and I definitely don't practice that much.

At any rate, I would say that, as rleitch posted, it's Malcolm Gladwell's theory so if you have doubts about it read his book. I've been meaning to read it myself but I haven't so I'm no expert on the 10 000 hours thing. I remember reading an excerpt though and he gives quite a few pretty convincing examples.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
This video was just linked on another thread but I thought it was a good example of spending some quality time with your sax, which is what you have to do.

Enjoy!!!
It doesn't appear to be working for this guy unfortunately.:shock:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,615 Posts
Then once you reach the virtuoso level, you can spend the next 10 to 20 years learning to play MUSIC.

...assuming all that virtuosity doesn't get in your way!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts