Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sent mine off to Brian Powell.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'd sure like to see some other Berg stainless players examples of their re-finished mpc.

thanks Forum

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just sent mine off to Brian Powell.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'd sure like to see some other Berg stainless players examples of their re-finished mpc.

thanks Forum
Brian will make you a nice player for sure :bluewink:

Here a link to a few pics of a refaced SS Berg https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213304042264312&set=ms.c.eJxNzMkJxAAMQ9GOBtta7PTfWMhhQKDT46OuaaBYnDHR8~_u~%3BqG8odQjK1GUDm3o2hFv0IERjGtnYpjd~%3BjuZ2NP522hcMwh~%3Bl.bps.a.10213304042144309&type=3&theater

·
Registered
715 Posts
My Berg-Larsen stainless-steel Alto mouthpiece was a lot easier to play after a reface by Brian Powell. He knows his job, and he is one of the rare refacers that work on stainless-steel pieces.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian responded to my first inquiry within 4 days, the next response came virtually right away and then I sent the mpc. I don't understand the one year wait deal, something strange there.

From what I have read Brian has done many mpcs for many players, his reviews are normally excellent. I see he is recommended by some of his top peers too.

So we will see, he receives the Berg day after tomorrow..

Thanks for the responses and links, keep 'em comin':mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting to look at, mine is a 120/0/M and feels more like a .115 to me. I see they enlarged the chamber too, that Berg must be a real player. Brian will dial the facing and let me know what size tip opening I actually have.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
SS pieces will always take more labor hours than brass or rubber pieces, with any refacer.
It shouldn't matter what it looks like. What matters is how it plays.
Jimmy Jensen at Tenor Madness just refaced my Berg SS baritone piece.
It took a while (understandably).
It looks... like a Berg, hardly any different from before...
And it plays FREAKIN FANTASTIC! The facing was pretty messed up before, but I would never have known by looking at it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Very interesting to look at, mine is a 120/0/M and feels more like a .115 to me. I see they enlarged the chamber too, that Berg must be a real player. Brian will dial the facing and let me know what size tip opening I actually have.
That makes perfect sense. Bergs are known to run .005" less than marked. Not sure why. I asked that question here quite a while back, but nobody had a real good answer. It's weird bc it's not that they are all over the place like Brilharts...they are consistently .005" less. Theo Wanne mentions this on his page about Bergs. I just had a vintage 100/1 M come in today, and just measured it...sure enough, .095" on the dot!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SS pieces will always take more labor hours than brass or rubber pieces, with any refacer.
It shouldn't matter what it looks like. What matters is how it plays.
Jimmy Jensen at Tenor Madness just refaced my Berg SS baritone piece.
It took a while (understandably).
It looks... like a Berg, hardly any different from before...
And it plays FREAKIN FANTASTIC! The facing was pretty messed up before, but I would never have known by looking at it.
I hear ya, mine played good (actually great) for me and looked ok, monstrous sound..but ya never know, Brian may say otherwise. I bought this well played and worn 120/0/M for a song, because I wanted a Berg baritone SS with a high baffle around .115

I knew I had a chance to get one from a .120 The mpc turned out to impress me to the point of seeing if it will get even better..it is plenty open for me as is.

Curious what size Bari Berg SS do you play ?

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
That makes perfect sense. Bergs are known to run .005" less than marked. Not sure why. I asked that question here quite a while back, but nobody had a real good answer. It's weird bc it's not that they are all over the place like Brilharts...they are consistently .005" less. Theo Wanne mentions this on his page about Bergs. I just had a vintage 100/1 M come in today, and just measured it...sure enough, .095" on the dot!
I’d say more than half, maybe 75%, are .005” under what is marked as measured inside the tip rail. Berg, and a few other makers, may spec at the very tip. But that is usually only .002-.004” larger depending on the tip rail thickness.

The rest vary from .025” under to .010” over what is marked. Some are even on size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts