Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I love this song by the HunterTones but I don't know how Dan (tenor sax) does the up-glissando. Anyone has an idea? you can hear it at 1:30 and 2:07.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,907 Posts
Sounds like he's lipping up some altissimo.
He is in fact doing a fingered gliss into the altissimo register at which point he is bend up the altissimo.

Once you get up there it is very easy to bend a lot just by using a very tiny adjustment of the mouth. In fact it is probably more oral cavity than "lipping" although that is a term generally used to cover any type of bend or tuning adjustment.

I'm not wishing to be pedantic about that, but I find there is a difference. On lower notes bending is done often by relaxing (or tightening) the jaw, but once you get high (near the top of the upper register) then a different technique can be used to get very extreme bending (like you can do just on a mouthpiece alone) and this is something that can be done without lip/jaw movement, but by a tiny change in the oral cavity. I know some people might call this vowel shaping but I kind of disagree. It's more like what you do inside your mouth to change pitch when whistling, but much much smaller.

Anyway, it is really quite easy to do, could be worth starring off with mouthpiece exercises, just see how far you can bend the pitch (up to and over an octave can be possible)

As for that altissimo bliss (or "doit") it is very easy and quite standard 9all pop horn section players have to do it) and once you mare above top F it can be done with just one fingering - I tend to use a bottom Bb.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pete - you took all of the fun out of it......like the full explanation....kind of totally shuts down the thread.....as there is no more room for speculation.......Where is mystery here ;)

........all the same, I do need to say, I wish I could do that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
Cool band.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts