Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a bunch of posts about cleaning saxophones. Maybe you think your saxophone is clean... but how clean is it really...?

You can pretty much see if the body is clean or not. Some areas are harder to see so you might need to move the sax in different angles to look...

You see most of the keys, look at them to check if they have dirt on them or not. Maybe you need to get closer to check some of them. Some parts are harder to see, like under some key arms or at more crowded areas of several keys...

What about even smaller areas, like around the ends of keys and posts, spring cradles, between linkages, etc. Some of those are buried under a bunch of parts. You can see if you look closer or you might have to start disassembling the instrument...

Then you might find dirt inside the posts, key ends, all sorts of places... but if you are completely paranoid about dirt on your instrument like any normal saxophone player (most sax players are not normal though) you really have to look everywhere. What if you have a Conn, they have those tiny set screws. They look more like a small dark spec than a screw. Maybe that's because of all the dirt on them... just look at the photo! So you better hurry and check those and if they have some dirt better get the sax thoroughly cleaned ASAP!

View attachment 29130

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I use utrasonic cleaner too :bluewink: sounds like we have a conspiracy against you :lol: hahahahaha :mrgreen: :twisted:

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I had one - admittedly smallish, and gave it up.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Well, if you take it to the car wash and spray it good with the pressure washer it gets pretty clean.
Finish the job with the wax rinse and it leaves it nice and shiny! :twisted: :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
now I find myself wondering about what the tech found when he washed the sax that I used from 6th grade through my senior year in high school... dare I ask him to be specific?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Well, if you take it to the car wash and spray it good with the pressure washer it gets pretty clean.
Finish the job with the wax rinse and it leaves it nice and shiny! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Now that would be a sight worth capturing, and Im sure someone has done it

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
When it comes to getting an instrument 'clean' some people will use any method that pops into their head.
When I was still a parent volunteer the director showed me a rental flute that one of the girls in beginning band had run through the dishwasher.
I won't tell you what another girl did to her flute when she got a swab stuck...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
What if you have a Conn, they have those tiny set screws. They look more like a small dark spec than a screw. Maybe that's because of all the dirt on them... just look at the photo! So you better hurry and check those and if they have some dirt better get the sax thoroughly cleaned ASAP!

View attachment 29130
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...........................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts