Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Joined
·
7,431 Posts
It probably would be more cost-effective to find a complete ligature than to try to make a new plate for it. The real problem is not finding or making the plate - its attaching it so the screw turns without binding on the plate. I don't know if the screw and post can even be re-used but it probably can. The plate slips over the post and is then lightly peened through the upper hole in the ligature so it stays put but allows the post to turn.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,865 Posts
read this

I have fashioned a modification to the standard Otto Link tenor ligature for metal mouthpiece (in this case, the NY model) in such a way that it plays (in my view) in a much more uniform way for most reeds. I removed the original pressure plate from the OL ligature and then removed the pressure plate from a Brancher ligature for OL. With a Dremel tool I removed the "rails" on the side, yielding a "four point" contact architecture with respect to the reed. This plate is much more robust and uniform than the original Link pressure plate. I drilled a hole (approx. 1/16inch) in the center of the compression screw, going directly through the knurled thumbscrew on the outside. I then drilled the same size hole in the mid-section of the Brancher pressure plate and counter sank the inside portion of the hole. I placed a #4-40 by ca. 1" flat head screw through the Brancher PP and through the center of the OL compression screw and out thru the thumbscrew. I then 'loosely' placed two 4-40 nuts, one with lw against each other leaving a small amount of 'play' for the new PP. I have been well pleased with the results. If anyone would be interested, I have some excellent photographs that I would be willing to e-mail to you showing the whole affair. I affectionately refer to the ligature as a "Brink". My e-mail address is [email protected] and my website www.falkaudio.com Gary Falk
A couple of months ago I bought an Otto Link STM moutpiece for my baritone. The mouthpiece is good, but the original ligature is of absolutely abysmal quality, the parts are nonsymmetrical and their fit is very sloppy and the ligature does not hold the reed too well, so I've been using a Rowner.

Today I started thinking about fixing the original ligature, so i tried to determine it's worst problems, which obviously are the sheet brass parts which are unbelievably inaccurately made (I mean, how is it possible to punch so badly asymmetrical parts out of brass sheet if the dies are ok?) :shock: , the very sloppy fit of the screw and the flimsy pressure plate.

So I unsoldered the "band" from the thick piece of brass through which the screw goes and decided to use just the band (thought it's made of very soft and thin metal) and make everything else from scratch.

I fully understand that the project makes no sense whatsoever economically speaking, but as this is my hobby, I don't count my own hours and as the materials are mostly sourced from scrap bins, it's actually free. So I don't lose anything and gain some more experience (and fun, I'm weird, I know:twisted:) even if the ligature fails to work, and if it works, then I'll get a useable ligature. ;)

Anyway, here's some pictures http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/Murola/Otto Link lig/ .

So far I have all the parts made, next thing will be taking them to work for the brazing of the band to the screw plate. I don't have silver solder, but I do have phosphor copper brazing rods, I believe they'll do the job. I made one mistake, the extra hole in the pressure plate, I miscalculated when finding the centerline and didn't trust my eyes. :TGNCHK: The pressure plate might be too thick, I'll know when I get it brazed together and try it with the mouthpiece and a reed. If so, I'll have to mill it to fit.
Ok, the first version was a failure. :(

Firstly I destroyed the thin brass band trying to braze it, secondly, I managed to get it together enough to find that there's no room for the reed with the machined pressure plate.

So I guess I'll have to find some thin sheet brass and make a new, slightly longer, band. Then there'll be no original parts left. :D
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top