Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I need help.

I'd like to salvage the ligature that came with my double line Link. The major problem with it is the band that wraps around the mouthpiece body is distended. I was thinking maybe I could de-solder the band, cut a few mm on each sides and re-solder it. Is it something I could do with a regular propane torch? Would I need some soldering flux? I've never soldered before so any help would be appreciated.

There are other problems with the lig but they'll be easier to fix. Here are some pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/112446046746578763647/LinkLig?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfhzvThk4evOw#slideshow/5624575918822835890.

Of course I could buy a FL and throw this one in the trash but I'd really love to make it usable again. Or should I just give up, shut up and practice instead? :twisted: :tsk:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A packing plate between the pressure plate and the reed ?
If you want to keep using it, definately don't mess with it!!!

John.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A packing plate between the pressure plate and the reed ?
If you want to keep using it, definately don't mess with it!!!

John.
Adding material between the pressure plate and the reed is something I have considered but I would really like to restore the ligature like my mouthpiece got restored. Another sax player gave me the mpc and lig together and it would mean something I could restore the original lig. I'm not sure what skill or expertise would be required to fix it but it is a project I would love to tackle if it's not unreasonable. Might be a waste of time though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
There are a few options.

Packing the plate out is the simplest, and if you wanted a permanent solution you could have a thicker plate made up.

You could pad the sides out.

You could have a longer screw made up - it wouldn't then be original (if that matters), but it would be a reversible fix.

When it comes to cutting and resoldering you're limited by the need for a raised section on the top of the lig. This is where you'd normally cut and resolder a lig to decrease its diameter.
In this case I'd be inclined to desolder the lig at the base, remove the clamp plate, remove metal from each side of the lig and resolder the plate on.
All soldering operations would use silver solder.

You could do this yourself with an off-the-shelf portable gas gun and some suitable flux and solder, but there's a risk of damaging the ligature body by overheating (it's very thin brass) and an even greater risk of getting solder everywhere...which will be a complete pig to clean up.

By the time you've bought the necessary kit to do the job you might as well pay a repairer (or a manufacturing jeweller) to do the job properly.

Regards,

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thank you for the help Stephen!

I indeed would like to keep it as close to original as possible.

A jeweler you said? Why didn't I think of it? That's a great suggestion!

While I have you, I'd like to ask you another question if you don't mind: would it be possible to drill into the rivet that holds the plate onto the screw in order to dismantle the whole ligature, clean the screw thread and straighten the plate and then re-attach it by replacing the rivet by a short screw (similar to how the Francois Louis ligature design)

Or would there be a less destructive way to do so?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Yes, it's possible to do as you suggested - I used to have a Link lig to which exactly that had been done.
It's a fiddly job, so you might want to get a repairer to do it (or an engineer - a jeweller too might be able to undertake such work) - you have to be extremely careful when drilling out the screw.

It's important too to ensure the screw is a good fit, otherwise it will keep working itself loose. Some threadlock would help. Don't forget that there has to be some provision to allow the reed plate to move freely.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts