Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a sax journal article circa 2001;Selmer makes about 1500 saxes a month(900altos,300 tenors,300 sopranos/sopraninos,100 baritones and 3 basses). How many does Keilwerth make a month. Of the big 4 they must be the smallest. Few dealers stock them and w/ the exception of private sales w/ this forum;used ones are rare(which is one of the reasons why I kept my new SX 90 tenor from Kessler). You see Yanis Yamahas and Selmers everywhere,used and new.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have a idea of how many saxes they make a year????Any german SOTW members who might know?????

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I wouldn't imagine that Keilwerth makes much more than a couple thousand saxes a year, all told. But, then again, they aren't machine produced like Yamaha, or built in a slave shop like Selmer!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Those numbers at the Selmer Factory are kind of weird. 300 tenors and 300 sopranos.

The soprano has got to sell less then a tenor. I know that most of these altos will end up in the hands of students and the tenor is considered the working mans horn, but the soprano is a rather eccentric little guy that not too many people really play. That and the selmer sopranos are really expensive, the market would be small just for that reason.

I'd bet JK really builds a fraction of the other makers. It's a horn that doesn't fit the other big three. When JK is included in this group, I don' t think it's because of their production numbers, but their quality and their build location. Europe/Germany/Japan as opposed to China and so forth where quality is questionable.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I really figure that since they have been around as long, or almost as long as selmer, they are a pretty popular company. If you can get a hold of one of their directors, i'm sure that you could get some answers conseidering that most peope I know who are German speak English.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
http://www.worldwidesax.com/ has a partial serial number list for Keilwerth.

Taking the most recent few entries:
1986: #91,000
1993: #99,100
1996: #104,000
1998: #109,000

Assuming that they use all the numbers sequentially and that they are just applied to saxophones, then their rate of manufacture was increasing over this period from about 1,150 per year to 2,500 per year in 1998.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~granlund/keilwerth-serials.html has a more complete serial number list for Keilwerth (although not fully agreeing with the worldwidesax list), finishing up with:

1996: #104,251
1997: #106,001
1998: #107,901
1999: #110,501
2000: #113,501

A list with the same information is referenced from Saxpics.

This list makes it look like Keilwerth would start a new year with a serial number like 1xx,001 or 1xx,501 and so possibly leave some numbers unused at the end of a year. Ignoring that, the number of saxes (or numbers used !) was something like 2,500 or 3,000 per year in 2000.

Rhys

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rhys!!!!!!!!!!Awesome info!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts