Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a bright horn ( an cewinds alpha based on the 82z) which has a very nice core and is a good horn . However , it is bright. I would llike to add a mp that will give it some warmth, and more lushness but without the loss of the core.
I play contemporary Christian, so on any given weekend we can play a combination of blues , rocking , or contemplative songs. Also my horn will sit idle for 30-45 min between "sets".
Now I play a Rousseau studio jazz that Mojo worked for me and its nice, or a Runyon Sr. The Rousseau doesnt really tame it and the sr seems to just make it dull.
I need a mp that can do a variety of stuff as I said earlier. By the way I use Legere
studio cut reeds only because of the horn sitting.
I have talked to Phil (Phil tone) and he suggest a link he does, But I am afraid it may be too dark, although he said hed brighten it some. I I am thinking about a Jody Jazz HR.
Please what do you think would be the best choice to do what I want. If you have had this exact experience please chime in. If not please suggest. Just think of my horn as a 82z. thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
Listen to Phil Barone. He knows mouthpieces. B

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use a hard rubber Link Doc Tenney slant sig.I play in big band and concert style music (use a Legere as well) and it is not too bright and at the same time it is not dull. I tried a JJ and it was way too loud/bright and I could not control my sound with it. I imagine Phil can hook you up with something that will be exactly what you are looking for. Good luck
Swingmanstan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
A mouthpiece change can help some but if a given horn is overall too bright you will still be fighting it no matter what mouthpiece you go to.
Sell it or put it in the closet and buy another horn.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Or you could look into developing ways to make your sound do what you want. Obviously long notes, but it could be worth looking into embouchure, e.g. taking in less mouthpiece. Once you have more control of your sound, you might find what you have is fine, or that the Phil Tone Link is ideal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I would go with the Link style, as in Phil- tone. My stock NY 7* STM Link does the best job of my mouthpieces in toning the brightness of my YTS 61 Yamaha. I also have had good results from a cheap 4*Brilhard Ebolin using hard Bari brand reeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts