Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yamaha YSS-61 soprano has one of those Varitone ports soldered to it. I've never used the darn thing, and I asked the tech who overhauled it to seal the port but he didn't - I guess he forgot. Today I realized that my ever-so-slowly-worsening warble issues on low D and D# were being caused by a leak at the O-ring for said port.
Right now I have a folded piece of Teflon tape shoved in with the brass plug to tighten the seal, which is staying there at least until my performance on Wednesday. But eventually I want this thing gone.

Has anyone here dealt with these things before who can offer a recommendation?

I think my ideal way would be to remove the port entirely, grind down a piece of brass little by little to fit the hole in the body, solder that in, and then sand down and buff the outside so it looks relatively nice. Is this sounding doable?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had one installed on my Mark VI alto in 1971. Used it for about a year. It never seemed to bother the playability. Sold that instrument in 1996.

The only suggestion I can make is to get it professionally removed if you choose that route. Otherwise, try to find a matching O-ring.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
My Yamaha YSS-61 soprano has one of those Varitone ports soldered to it. I've never used the darn thing, and I asked the tech who overhauled it to seal the port but he didn't - I guess he forgot. Today I realized that my ever-so-slowly-worsening warble issues on low D and D# were being caused by a leak at the O-ring for said port.
Right now I have a folded piece of Teflon tape shoved in with the brass plug to tighten the seal, which is staying there at least until my performance on Wednesday. But eventually I want this thing gone.

I think my ideal way would be to remove the port entirely, grind down a piece of brass little by little to fit the hole in the body, solder that in, and then sand down and buff the outside so it looks relatively nice. Is this sounding doable?
What you describe is doable, but it's permanent.

I'd consider just securing the plug with beeswax. Then if you or anyone ever wants to restore it, just hit it with a heat gun and you can pop the plug right out of there.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts

I think that is the way to do it. I had one in my King s20 tenor, so I was going to do it in sterling. I decided why bother with all the trouble. I'm not selling the horn. After removing the port, I bent a silver Mercury dime over a pipe to match the neck radius. I then used contact cement to glue some pad leather to the back and glued it to the neck. The hole is really no bigger than an octave pip. It looks cool to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,399 Posts
'I think my ideal way would be to remove the port entirely, grind down a piece of brass little by little to fit the hole in the body, solder that in, and then sand down and buff the outside so it looks relatively nice. Is this sounding doable?'

That's basically the way it should be done.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
'I think my ideal way would be to remove the port entirely, grind down a piece of brass little by little to fit the hole in the body, solder that in, and then sand down and buff the outside so it looks relatively nice. Is this sounding doable?'

That's basically the way it should be done.
Don't forget that the inside should be curved to mach the inside of the neck. (I've done this type of patch many times before)

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
This is not the final pic of patching a varitone, but this is what I did the other day, more like the step or 2 before the last.

View attachment 248946

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I have one of these on an old Slant Sig Link I have. I’ve left it and plugged the hole with a nail head and some contact cement.
Maybe someday I’ll find a pickup and try it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere - the internal facing of your neck is critical. Any decent and experienced sax tech would be able to patch such holes by fashioning a suitable piece of brass. This is exactly what my tech is doing to my G.H.Huller alto and if that all goes as well as I expected it will he will repeat the process on my F.X.Huller alto. The FX has a hold where the port once was (previous owner) while two ports are existent on the GH.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere - the internal facing of your neck is critical. Any decent and experienced sax tech would be able to patch such holes by fashioning a suitable piece of brass. This is exactly what my tech is doing to my G.H.Huller alto and if that all goes as well as I expected it will he will repeat the process on my F.X.Huller alto. The FX has a hold where the port once was (previous owner) while two ports are existent on the GH.
Whoa, stereo???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
AFAIR the 61 didn't have a detachable neck.
How comical. You are correct. I had just googled YSS 61 neck. Had a bunch of hits. I love the Internet. I’m surprised the optional necks did not include a hacksaw for fit issues.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AFAIR the 61 didn't have a detachable neck.
How comical. You are correct. I had just googled YSS 61 neck. Had a bunch of hits. I love the Internet. I';m surprised the optional necks did not include a hacksaw for fit issues.
Yeah it happens haha.

The beeswax was a good idea so I'll do that for the time being.
My metalworking skills are nowhere near the level I would need to do the patch job myself right now, but I will look into having an experienced tech do it, and if I decide that is too expensive then I'll do it myself someday when I am able!

Edit: I didn't see the Matt Stohrer video before - I didn't realize he did one on this. That seems like the way to do it. Unfortunately I don't anticipate being able to afford a metal lathe any time soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts