Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am exploring my options for replacing some missing keys on a bari that I am restoring and was wondering what the process is for making key assemblies (rods, hinge tubes, levers, touch pieces, etc.). Are the various pieces soldered together? Is it one piece that is made from a mold? How difficult is it to make a new key or modify a key to work on a different sax?

Just curious!

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
it would be easier to find some keys to adapt.

sometime ago, there was a post where a key cup was made, it was a great video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Are the various pieces soldered together? Is it one piece that is made from a mold? How difficult is it to make a new key or modify a key to work on a different sax?
Each piece is made individually and then hard soldered together, then reamed shaped buffed plated or lacquered

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Each piece is made individually and then hard soldered together, then reamed shaped buffed plated or lacquered
Thanks simso, that is what I was looking for. I am going to keep looking for either a beater bari with the keys I need or the individual keys. If I can't find them I guess now is a good time to learn how to hard solder and make my own!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I recall reading somewhere (likely a manufacturer's sales brochure) that keys are hammer forged, too, not just molded.
Certainly! If cast, the metal would be considerably weaker.

That is not to say that one cannot make strong keys out of bar stock of cold-worked material, however.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts