Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Buffet S1 Tenor. I picked one up before Christmas. A bit darker than my mark vi. Much better intonation. 1/3 the price the mark vi. But the S1 would give the VI a run for the money.

I don't think anyone ever asked that in the other thread but that's a good question. I really wasn't thinking about flipping or trying to make a profit as much as finding a great player at a reasonable price. But if you also stand to break even or better if it doesn't work out, that certainly doesn't hurt.
I asked because there are some horns that you can pick up for loose change, and you have a nice horn for the price of an overhaul. Unfortunately they will still be worth about half the price of the overhaul. I learn a lot about these by reading posts by @JayeLID and @milandro.

I asked because there are some horns that you can pick up for loose change, and you have a nice horn for the price of an overhaul. Unfortunately they will still be worth about half the price of the overhaul. I learn a lot about these by reading posts by @JayeLID and @milandro.
That word "worth" in the context of this thread is, I think, sturdiness, sound, reliability, mpc friendliness, ergos, and so on related to keeping and playing rather than flipping. If that is so, I cannot see the result as "unfortunate" but rather as very fortunate. Putting $500 into a horn that will be kept and played for the rest of one's life is not lost money, no matter what value the estate sets for it after the funeral. If things go well I might still be playing it after that!

I like my horns in "like new" playing condition also. It's not at all necessary to buy a brand-new modern horn (at a brand-new price rate) in order to get one in perfect playing condition, or have it put into top playing condition by a good tech.

I should add, even a new modern horn right out of the factory isn't always in perfect playing condition, in comparison with a top-notch overhaul on a used horn. The OP is asking for 'best bang for your buck.' They won't find that buying a top-quality new horn.
That's great advice but I have notoriously bad luck with 'techs' who end up ruining my horns. My new/untouched horns have always been the best. This time because of my age anything new is going to last me as long as I need it - with little or no 'tech' work. But if I need some 'tech' work, I'm sure everyone will be happy that I have finally found one who is willing to do things the way I want, which is simply the way things were automatically done in the past - the right way.

I feel like the most undervalued horns on the market (but not still made) are the B&S horns. They are smokin’.

As for new horns, um… well they aren’t cheap but the Ishimori horns are easily the best modern horn I have played and for that matter play. So while I never expect their prices to to be that of the fabled mark vi or SBAs they play like every horn I have ever wanted to play. The only comparison horn to the one I own I have found is an SBA that would be more than twice the price.

As for other vintage, late model Super20s are really nice and sometimes undervalued but there is a lushness to Buescher 400 TH&Cs that cannot be denied. There is a sultry sexy side of those horns that is the thing dreams are made of.

That word "worth" in the context of this thread is, I think, sturdiness, sound, reliability, mpc friendliness, ergos, and so on related to keeping and playing rather than flipping. If that is so, I cannot see the result as "unfortunate" but rather as very fortunate. Putting $500 into a horn that will be kept and played for the rest of one's life is not lost money, no matter what value the estate sets for it after the funeral. If things go well I might still be playing it after that!
I think of it now as the highest performance per dollar, or pound, or bit coin, etc. This resale is not involved in the equation for this particular point. So while there is a higher risk of not getting your money back on a resale if you don't like the end result, it allows for a higher (performance)/(monetary value) ratio if you wind up liking it. I have some altos like this, an angel wing F King (Keilwerth stencil) and a Gracin (Hammerschmidt). However for tenor I have a thing for Martins, and I have the itch to try an SML Rev D once I sell one or two. Or 10 to 20 mpcs. So far I have put zero of anything up for sale, so I may need to derive a plan B.

Mexi-Conn tenors are great value for money.

I bought one a couple years ago, paid the guy $400, got the tenor, a nearly new case worth $100, an Otto Link mouthpiece worth $200, a Brilhart worth probably close to $100. I put $100 or so worth of pads, corks, felts into it (plus my labor, which for the purposes of this discussion I'm not valuing) and I've got a horn that plays almost identically to my 1949 silver plated 10M except for a few minor differences in the mechanism. And being finished with the nuclear-blast-proof 1970s Conn epoxy lacquer, it actually looks pretty darn good from six feet away.

Yes, it took a bit of fettling to get the mechanism just to my taste, but for about $100 all in (considering the offset of the case and two valuable mouthpieces), I call that a hell of a deal.

Beaugnier/Vito tenors. Anything from the stenciled Couf lineage is undervalued: Bundy Special, King Tempo, Armstrong Heritage, etc. Some of the Keilwerth Tone Kings don't get the respect they deserve. Most Buescher tenors that aren't a TH&C. YTS-61s can be had affordably and are great (especially if there's enough of a budget for a Yani neck). Buffet SDA tenors are starting to go up but can still be had <$2K sometimes.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
That's great advice but I have notoriously bad luck with 'techs' who end up ruining my horns.
You can't overstate the value of having a good, trusted tech. I still miss Charles Fail, who used to have a shop in Atlanta. He setup my horns perfectly for me and I haven't found anybody since who did. The tech I use now is good. In fact, he's working on my two altos right now, so we'll see how it turns out. But yeah, I do get the struggle.

I suppose the problem is that you have to put that money in it (isn't $500 low for an overhaul now?) not knowing what the end result will be. You may end up with something you'll play the rest of your life but you may not. And then you have sunk costs that you won't be able to get back.

I think the whole conversation about whether a horn is worth what you've got into it, if you're planning to keep it and use it for making music, is a misplaced discussion - and I too participate in it. I see a lot of newbies posting here with a question "here's an old stencil horn in not very good condition, what should I do?" and we respond as if it were an investment. I think we're trying to convey that "no, the old fiddle from Grand-dad's attic is NOT a long hidden Stradivarius, and that old pawn shop horn is not a hidden find of the century either" - but it comes across as though the only purpose for saxophones is to buy and sell them for a profit.

I suppose the problem is that you have to put that money in it (isn't $500 low for an overhaul now?) not knowing what the end result will be. You may end up with something you'll play the rest of your life but you may not. And then you have sunk costs that you won't be able to get back.

I just called the local store and they said an alto repad w/o dentwork, or complications was $330.

It might not take a complete disassembly/overhaul.

saxquest says
Intermediate Model Saxophone Overhaul
price for dent work and parts not included
Soprano/Alto/Tenor Saxophone: $595 (price excludes pads)

Vintage Buescher Aristocrat anywhere in the range from '30s 'series one', through to late '40s / early '50s 156.
I have an Aristocrat from the early 60's that's just beautiful. I'm not sure if it's pre or post buyout, but it still has that Buescher sound. I've been considering getting a re-pad done on it, as for whatever reason the pads don't have resonators. I'm also considering selling my YTS-875EX because I play mostly alto, and why have two tenors when I barely play one! I guess what I'm saying is, if I have to keep just one it would be the Buescher.

Leg Human body Musical instrument Woodwind instrument Human leg
Musical instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

I have an Aristocrat from the early 60's that's just beautiful. I'm not sure if it's pre or post buyout, but it still has that Buescher sound. I've been considering getting a re-pad done on it, as for whatever reason the pads don't have resonators. I'm also considering selling my YTS-875EX because I play mostly alto, and why have two tenors when I barely play one! I guess what I'm saying is, if I have to keep just one it would be the Buescher.
I think the Selmer buyout was around '63. So 'early' 60's could be either just before or just after the buyout. I'm not at all familiar with the post "156" Aristocrat tenors, but I've heard that the ones up to and maybe a bit past the buyout are pretty good horns. So, yours could well be very nice and worth getting a repad with resonators.

My point is that the Buescher horns from the most desirable era, which are top quality, pro horns, can be had at a very reasonable price.

I think the Selmer buyout was around '63. So 'early' 60's could be either just before or just after the buyout. I'm not at all familiar with the post "156" Aristocrat tenors, but I've heard that the ones up to and maybe a bit past the buyout are pretty good horns. So, yours could well be very nice and worth getting a repad with resonators.

My point is that the Buescher horns from the most desirable era, which are top quality, pro horns, can be had at a very reasonable price.
I just paid a little over two grand for my '49 Buescher 400 TH&C, including having a couple iffy pads replaced. This thing is a monster. I have a King Zephyr that I have almost as much into after the rebuild. It is a great horn, but the Buescher tops it.

These don’t come up often, but I bought a gold plated Grassi Prestige in pristine condition a couple years back for $1500 that is an absolute beast of a horn. These horns will certainly appeal to those who favor modern ergonomics and the classic selmer sound.

I just paid a little over two grand for my '49 Buescher 400 TH&C, including having a couple iffy pads replaced. This thing is a monster.
That's a really good price for a TH&C. I was mainly talking about the Aristocrats because I think they tend to be a bit more undervalued than the TH&C, which generally goes for a higher price. But anything much below $3k for a TH&C in good playing condition, would definitely fit the 'best bang for your buck' category.

I'm taking the OP's "best bang" question to mean a really top-quality horn for a reasonable price. Rather than just looking for the cheapest thing out there that will do the job.

Found a like-new B&S 'Dave Guardala' Artist Model tenor and I play the same mouthpiece on it I've been using since 1998, a Dave Guardala 'King Curtis'. Its a dynamite combination although I don't believe there's generally any advantage to be had playing a DG on a DG - just sheer luck in my case. In fact, when I played my VI after getting used to the B&S, the VI played small to me. Now I'm thinking of selling that and getting a new tenor if I can find one as good as the B&S. I have two in mind but they're hard to get right now - the Yamaha 'Atelier' or the Yanagisawa TWO33 (silver neck and bell). I won't buy any more old saxes unless they're still in new condition. I've always like my horns best when they were new - now at this late stage I'm not fighting that anymore - it has to be great and it has to be new.
I don’t think there’s a very good chance you’ll find a tenor you like more. So are you thinking of selling the VI or B&S? If you get a chance to play a 2001 or Medusa, you should check it out. I think the Yamahas and Yanis will lack the power you’re liking with the B&S, not to mention the really nice bottom end.

A friend bought one of these and it played surprisingly well right out of the box.
if was thinking PM, Cannonball, or any of the myriad of Chinese tenors, I would buy one of these and save a couple of grand;

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.