·
Registered
41 Posts
I second that...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
good idea.........with a disclaimer that you do DIY at your risk and peril!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would assume that many of the techs that folks here actually use and can vouch for would continue to be most helpful; as many of them already go out of their way to help the members here with do-it-yourself repairs. I wish such a section could preclude posturing and self-aggrandizement, but that might be hoping for too much.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think it is a terrible idea...folks outfitting their work areas with the necessary tools to perform simple repairs; members gaining a better understanding of the mechanics of their horns through actual application; sons and daughters finding new ways to idolize their parents as mom and dad save the day before a performance...this appears to be fraught with peril.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Actually I am up for this. I just bought Stephen Howard's saxophone manual and the lovely colour pictures are very reassuring..

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I don't think it would accomplish anything that the tech forum doesn't already do well. Whilst it's true that a very few individuals seem to think that they are "professional repairers" and all others are hacks who only work on student instruments, it's been my experience that the majority are extremely helpful and will go to great lengths to advise and assist other members in any way possible.

If you look back through the tech forum, you'll see many instances where people have been walked through D.I.Y repairs to the point where some have even graduated to become "professional repairers."

·
25,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look back through the tech forum, you'll see many instances where people have been walked through D.I.Y repairs to the point where some have even graduated to become "professional repairers."
I most certainly have seen this over the last ten years or so, and it's funny sometimes to see someone parrot what I once informed them about the workings of a horn they didn't understand just a year or so ago, only to have them later dismiss my non-professional views on the topic. But a separate section might just be a better way to organize that part of the forum so folks are clear when someone is asking for general advice or more particular solutions to problems they encounter while undergoing home repairs. Perhaps there's a thin line there whereby a tech might feel somewhat threatened by do-it-yourself'ers, but as you said, most here have always been most helpful in this regard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Well since DogPants 'is' an academic, his view is much like that of the oxen vs. the elk in Gibran's comment on 'Freedom' in 'The Prophet'... Anyway... A good DIY tip to all is 'keep an envelope of new untouched notes (I like US $20 bills) for wiping your G# pad... Then after they are soiled you recycle them for trade in sundries as you may!

·
25,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A good DIY tip to all is 'keep an envelope of new untouched notes (I like US $20 bills) for wiping your G# pad...
Oh no, don't open that can of worms here. Someone's already had a meltdown...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like a great way to give your local repairman more business. Seriously, if it were so easy then wouldn't we be doing it already?! Why not have a separate section for dental work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Sounds like a great way to give your local repairman more business. Seriously, if it were so easy then wouldn't we be doing it already?! Why not have a separate section for dental work?
Dont laugh.... I chipped a tooth a couple of years ago and it left a sharp, uncomfortable point in my mouth. I took a fine swiss file that I had filed the point down. A few months later, when I finally happened by the dentist, he looked at my work, shrugged, and said it looked fine.

Shoot, its just bone, right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
kyotosessions has a good idea... since many dental tools double as sax craft implements, a dual DIY sax repair and dental work thread should be great!

·
25,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one said it was easy, though even some of the more respected techs on the site will tell you it ain't rocket science. It's simply a skill and many of the more mechanical minded folks here take a great interest in learning home repair. There's even a market for it with repair kits and instructional handbooks readily available. But to put it on par with dentistry? I think that's just a tad bit more involved...

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
This DIY repair section might not be such a bad idea. Folks would be free to discuss how padding a Buescher is as simple as popping the new pads in, how leveling toneholes is tantamount to grinding them down, how using 1000 grit sandpaper to clean the tops of toneholes ruins the integrity of the instrument, and that making springs stiffer is the cure for sticky pads---all without some know-it-all tech butting in and ruining amateur hour by injecting accurate information.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I'm closing the thread down. The mama drama that has erupted between certain parties IS going to end with this thread. The consequences for not heading this warning will be permanent in nature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.