Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
For me, there is just no other place more comfortable to put my most used screwdrivers and pliers than the table itself. Stands or drawers are not comfortable/fast enough, only used for slightly less used ones. So it would be annoying to pick up those tools from the magnet I guess. Same for many other steel tools you work with and put on the table while working, don't want to move back to their stands every second. So for me, wouldn't be good, maybe ok for others.
I don't think those magnetic sheets are strong enough to really cause that kind of problem, the ones I've seen are rather weak actually, just strong enough to hold them on a flat steel surface but quite easy to peel off. They are also available in different thicknesses, thinner ones are even less strong. I'm not talking about enough magnetism to snatch a screwdriver out of your hand or force you to pry the parts off the bench with a crowbar, just enoug so small bits won't bounce or roll off the bench easily.

Also one could use a magnetic apron to catch anything that falls before it hits the floor and gets lost. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,717 Posts
I wouldnt use magnets on the bench personally, but just as a side note I have strip magnets inside our ally oxide / plastic and grit blasters to catch any metal bits and prevent them from becoming shot

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.