Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Audience request I have begun a video series of detailed discussion of vintage Otto Link and related tenor mouthpieces. We will cover the 1940's to the 1970's, Tonemaster to Early Babbitt and in between whatever I have on hand. This will be useful in understanding characteristics, identifying and comparing. If you already know this stuff (many do) great, but this is a level of detail many may not have considered and many will benefit from, especially those who have not had access to so many pieces. Today is episode #1; NY Tonemasters and Early Supertonemasters. More to follow. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/FsOswkL0mLU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for these videos, I have learned a lot from them. On tenor I play a late-ish Tonemaster (square edged tooth guard), facing 4, that I was GIVEN (!) 25 years ago. I have tried others, but just love the Tonemaster. It had no ligature, so I use a Rovner, which I prefer anyhow, and it's just a super, do anything mouthpiece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the information, great watch - almost TOO much information in a good way. I play a FL STM no USA no serial 6* and now I want a numbered one of course (kidding).

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
The more I hear people play different Links I found I prefer everybody’s sound on the Tone Edges.
I have a really good Early Babbitt 6 that’s hard to beat. It may take you a while to find a good one but there’s nothing like them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts