Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the palm F is engaged when my VI tenor is laying in its (original) case, as well as in the SKB I have for it. Is this normal for all horns? Do you all see the same thing with your horns in their respective cases?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Nonono ... not normal. Your sax is ruined now. Quelle tragedie!

Send it directly and i will see about finding it a good home.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Unless i read your OP wrong and mean that the palm f is ... betrothed.
And you only notice it when the sax is in the case.
Sort of an Oliver Sacks (or similarly bogus) thing.

In which case (see what I did there), i am happy to send
a lovely tan pad to celebrate the occasion.

Gaaaaahhhhh... back to work..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I understand you correctly, your palm F does NOT touch the bottom of your case and open the vent, correct?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If I understand you correctly, your palm F does NOT touch the bottom of your case and open the vent, correct?
Correct. It should not be doing this. There's probably no harm in the fact that it's opening the key, but potentially great harm in the fact that the touchpiece is in contact with the case. As it bounces around you have a risk of the key getting bent.

You probably need to carve away some padding to make room.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I just noticed that the palm F is engaged when my VI tenor is laying in its (original) case, as well as in the SKB I have for it. Is this normal for all horns? Do you all see the same thing with your horns in their respective cases?
Are you using an end plug? Your horn should be supported by parts other than the keys. If the keys are in contact, there is a very good chance of something getting bent (as turf3 mentioned).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you using an end plug? Your horn should be supported by parts other than the keys. If the keys are in contact, there is a very good chance of something getting bent (as turf3 mentioned).
Yes, I'm using an end plug.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like the key risers that the previous owner installed are too big. I'm going to have to clear some space. Thank you all for your responses!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Yeah, some of those old, "stock" cases well........suck. That's the reality of it. Should any keys open or make contact with the case (opened or closed)? No. Will it ruin the horn? No, but you're obviously playing with fire. High F keys (even Selmer's) are prone to getting bent to the point where the pad doesn't seat properly with the tone hole or (also) wearing the rod to where it's loose. Personally, I love my ProTec cases and I use them for all six saxophones I own (other than my ancient C-melody and Yamaha sop. which sits fine in its stock case).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts