Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A friend of mine recently moved and had no desire to take his tenor that he hadn't played since high school. So, he gave it to me! It's supposedly a Selmer, but I can find very little information online about this horn, so I'm wondering if it's fake. I'm primarily an alto player, and I know little about Selmers in general.

The horn plays decently well, but it definitely needs work. I want to identify the horn and get an idea of what it's worth before I go putting a lot of money into it. I've attached some pictures with the bell engraving and the markings under the thumb rest. Any information on what this thing is would be greatly appreciated!

The engravings under the thumb rest: "LTD54, 05205, AJ117TS"
On the bell: "Selmer Artist"

View attachment 208066
View attachment 208074
View attachment 208082

·
Registered
643 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that is a Selmer-Conn made horn. It's not a Selmer-Paris France horn. Probably around student level, maybe YAS-23 / 275 comparable, not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
This reminds me of my friend who wanted to give me his alto he had from 30+ years back... said it was a Selmer... turns out it was a Selmer Bundy (sad trombone noises)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I tried searching for "selmer artist saxophone" and it turned up quite a bit of information. For example:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?33924-Looking-for-info-on-Selmer-Artist-54-LTD

Does it have a country of manufacture stamped on it? They are apparently Taiwanese-made -- which is not to say that it's automatically an inferior instrument. If you got it for free, it's really hard to complain about that! But, if I'm not mistaken, that is the Selmer USA logo, not the Selmer France logo, and they're completely different companies. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I am will chime in here shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts