Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be appreciated here. I came across this picture today of Horace Silver playing his Buescher. I never knew he even played sax, thought he was just a pianist. I've always loved his melodies (Sister Sadie being my favorite of his compositions) but I never knew he played saxophone as well. it looks like a Big B to me unless I am sorely mistaken.

View attachment 214722

Here's a link to the picture in case the attachment doesn't work: https://i.redd.it/459jxgpepng11.jpg

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yep, he started off as a sax player, but had to switch to piano due to asthma, as I recall. Such a great composer! And his piano player is just filled with wonderful examples of how sometimes "less is more."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool, I have his biography at home but have never gotten around to reading it. I'll have to crack it open one of these days.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
Definitely a Big B Aristocrat in that photo. And yes, I've also heard he started out on sax. Maybe that explains why he wrote such great tunes featuring horns. But I'm glad he took up piano. His piano playing was funky, sophisticated, and swung like mad. I saw him a couple of times at Keystone Korner in SF. Among the best performances I can remember. His compositions are some of the best ever written, imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts