Ever made a reed?

• I made a reed - equal response than cane

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am so happy. Today, I discovered that I was really running low on reeds, kinda hard to get any soprano reeds in Lima. Anyway, I was wondering if I should just cover my reeds in plastic wrap. I tried this but the result was no sound at all. Then I thought; what if I made my own reeds? Finally I found a ruler. It was way too thick. Then I broke a pencil sharpener and made a reed out of that stuff. It was a 10 minute process and there was my reed. Here is the good part: I put it on the mouthpiece and I expected squeaks or no sound, but I got the most amazing and wonderful sound and response. Now my plastic reed is like my plastic quantum´s brother. My sax sounds so good! I am really happy. I have no clue as to what hardness my new reed is, but it is medium soft. 2.5 to 3.5 is probably the number. I don´t think that I will use it at my school band; my teacher doesn´t really like anything new or different. She doesn´t really care about it. However, I don´t think she would like my new sound while we are playing some sort of mournful funeral music or a tango. I bet I will end up using it at my Jazz band though. :thumbrig: :brush: :bunny: :color: :fish: :glasses7: :glasses1: :hello2: :smilebox: :wink:

Have any of you saxophonists or clarinetists ever made a reed? Was it any better than any cane reed?

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I was not very clear :(

JL said:
?????????????
What I mean is that I found a pencil sharpener with a cover. The cover was plastic. What I later did was that I held a reed against the cover and I took a chunk out of the sharpener. Later I managed to whittle it into a reed-like shape. I washed it about 500 gazillion times so it was really clean. It´s so cool! It has all of this edge to it. My little sister tried it but it must have been to hard for her. She is known to be able to get sound out of a Runyon Quantum #5 with a Vandoren blue box 2.5 reed. I hope that this somehow makes my message clearer. "Clearer" - get it? The reed is clear. Sorry for my rather pathetic pun :twisted: :evil: :D :| :x :? :!: :bsod:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Saxophonous Bb said:
What I mean is that I found a pencil sharpener with a cover. The cover was plastic. What I later did was that I held a reed against the cover and I took a chunk out of the sharpener. Later I managed to whittle it into a reed-like shape. I washed it about 500 gazillion times so it was really clean. It´s so cool! It has all of this edge to it. My little sister tried it but it must have been to hard for her. She is known to be able to get sound out of a Runyon Quantum #5 with a Vandoren blue box 2.5 reed. I hope that this somehow makes my message clearer. "Clearer" - get it? The reed is clear. Sorry for my rather pathetic pun :twisted: :evil: :D :| :x :? :!: :bsod:
Can you post a recording? I want to hear this...

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah!! I think that I will post a recording of this sometime soon. I´ll record something on Garage Band and I will export it to itunes. THen I´ll post it here as an attatchment. I´ll see what I can do about this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations!

Last week I tried to do a Zurna reed, because I have only one and can't find where to buy new ones. So I tried to make one like it said in the Zurna-FAQ. But the reeds I found here in Germany are to dry and they get broken even when they have been in water for a whole day. :x

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
28,915 Posts
You made a reed out of pencil sharpener? Well if that don't beat all!

[You had me going, at first I thought that you'd made it out of pencil shavings. :)]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Well, I made a pencil sharpener out of a box of reeds once......talk about reverse engineering......:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts