Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Never!!! Sax is forever :-)

Votes: 26 66.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my question... How long do you take to decide if that once amazing piece of saxophone hardware you just recently bought needs to go. A day? A week or two? Three to six months of attachment is your speed? Or, are you the type that will never admit you bought the wrong sax for you?

Truth is you can't marry the thing, but you can divorce yourself of it. Sometimes at great pain(s). :banghead:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love my horn like a calculator loves numbers.

-Birdman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,032 Posts
I've gone back to pieces which didn't do it for me at one time and found they were perfect for other jobs. Example - I generally play tenor with a loud section in a big band. I got called to play the pit for Chicago in a small house and found my main and backup pieces were too much for the gig. I dug out "the box" and re-evaluated my pieces with the intent of never playing above mf and found one well suited to the task. If I had dumped it I would have killed myself playing below a vocalist who wouldn't sing very loud.

I can usually tell in a matter of a week or two if a mouthpiece is going to become a main piece or a dust collector. A matter of minutes if it is going away for good. If I thought enough of a thing to buy it I'll usually hold on to it, unless it is seriously of no use and is tying up a lot of cash.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I kept my martin for over 6 months playing it, but eventually it turned out not for me. Immediately my conn was better and has been absolutely great.

My series III was bought on a whim before I knew anything about horns and I knew selmer and it looked nice. It still plays really well, but I need to get it set up or trade for a mark VII.

I had a buescher on trial (I think everyone has heard this story) and immediately I knew I couldn't deal with the insanely quirky intonation which I haven't found on any other bueschers. I sent that one back.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, for the sake of fish bait, I'll share a few ones that got away...

Bought a Super 20 alto off ebay. Loved it for about a week or so until my ears started ringing every-time I played the thing. Realized it had a way too in-your-face and loud tone. A mean ***** paint peeler. I could see why people go for these horns, but alas, not for me and it had to go. Sold it in a month for about what I paid.

Bought black nickel tenor JK SX90R used only 3 months old. Totally loved the tone and response. Never could get used to the right hand ergos. After my own three months of trying, I got frustrated with it and took a $150 loss selling the horn.

Got a steal on a SML Rev D tenor I just sold this week. Paid $500 and put another $500 of work into it. It sold for $1,450. When I bought the horn, I thought I would sell it right away for a quick buck. Ended up keeping it for a year. Was fun while it lasted :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
If I thought the sax was amazing when I bought it, the relationship usually doesn't turn sour until the sax either breaks during or right before a recording session or gig (seems to happen to me a lot.) The other dealbreaker is when I hear myself play and the tone sucks (bye bye YAS 875 Custom). Lately, I've been buying a lot of horns off the internet and if those horns don't capture my fancy in a week (about 4 hours of tryout), I start scheming about how to dump them (without taking a big loss.)

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
tjontheroad said:
How long till the sax isn't good anymore?
Saxes are always good. It's the player that goes bad. :twisted:

·
Registered
55 Posts
In ten years of serious playing I've only sold the YAS 52 that I played in HS. Take care of your babies and they will take care of you. Mouthpieces on the other hand...

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I've keep my gear for a long time.... To wit:

I had my MKVII alto for 16 years. Sold it and have since played my MKVI alto for 13 years. I will take this horn to my grave.

I had my late MKVI tenor for 30 years, and sold it two years ago to buy another (earlier) MKVI.

I had my Yamaha 675 soprano for 13 years and sold it last fall to buy a 875 EX.

I've messed around with other horns: Antigua, Yanagisawa and Buescher sopranos. Conn Chu and Transitional altos. Cannonball and Yamaha Tenors. I always end up playing what I've grown up with.

I have similar long term relationships with mouthpieces... Selmer C* (alto) and D (tenor) for classical... and a Link 7* tenor and Meyer 7M for alto I played for 30+ years til I switched to RPC on both alto and tenor 2 years ago.

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I've had my CJS tenor since I started back playing about 1.5 years ago. I bought another B&S tenor but sold it along the way (too similar). I recently had the lower post screw on the high F# key fall out and get lost, so I've got to find one that'll fit. In the meantime it highlights the need to have a good back up horn, so I've been looking for one.

Mouthpiece changes are about 6 months -- Dukoff, Guardala, now a Link. With the LINK I don't really need to think about the gear so much and just play. The reed doesn't have to be perfect to play well on the LINK. It gives me a nice balance of guts and balls.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If the horn works well for what I need it to do. I keep it. I have kept one horn for 6 years. and another one for 3. If it just doesn't workout I will try to sell it, and move on.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I've had the same MkVI alto that I got new as a junior in high school in 1972. It was one shiny horn! Now, it has about 40% lacquer, the unlacquered parts have a red or green patina. ...and I will never sell it or pawn it (even with the hunger pangs...been there, done that.)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Last tenor, a '31 Selmer made it for 19 years. Present one,a B&S for about 2 years now. It works for me. I don't even think about buying more saxes and will likely check out before getting another.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a MkVI alto in the mid 90's that I was going to take to the grave. Man I could get a sweet sound out of that thing. And then it was stolen. With the insurance money I bought a Series II until I could find a really nice VI again (or similar). Eventually I got the ref54 because it was supposed to be the answer but it's been 3 years and I've finally accepted that we just don't get on. If I'm honest I never really liked it. I don't even like the colour of the lacquer. I always thought we would grow to love each other but alas it isn't to be. I've accepted that now. It's time to move on.... :(

- Michael

1 - 20 of 27 Posts