Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have one! An enjoyable sax to play, so light in weight, so resonant! I play it in church and found the only thing missing was the high D. So, I took my fully keyed out Martin and the Home model to my service tech and asked him to put a D key on the Home model! $120 later I have a Home model with a D key and I can't be happier with the sax! It has almost perfect intonation through the range, just middle C and B are a little flat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one! An enjoyable sax to play, so light in weight, so resonant! I play it in church and found the only thing missing was the high D. So, I took my fully keyed out Martin and the Home model to my service tech and asked him to put a D key on the Home model! $120 later I have a Home model with a D key and I can't be happier with the sax! It has almost perfect intonation through the range, just middle C and B are a little flat.
yeah i was wondering how it would play. of course we'll see how mine plays but it seems like they arent too bad. how much did you pay for yours?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the instrument i bought still by martin. all of the home models ive seen have had the words martin home model on the bell but the one that i bought has howard in that spot. everything else is the exact same. the keys, the body, everything. just not that.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I paid more that I thought it was worth but these are rare and sometimes bidding is fierce. Then I had to pay 40% more for Canadian dollar exchange, shipping wasn't cheap either. Nonetheless I enjoy it! Ya, all the Home Models are Martins. The only other manufacturer of a stipped down sax was Buescher and their Academy line. I haven't seen a C-mel in that line of saxes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid more that I thought it was worth but these are rare and sometimes bidding is fierce. Then I had to pay 40% more for Canadian dollar exchange, shipping wasn't cheap either. Nonetheless I enjoy it! Ya, all the Home Models are Martins. The only other manufacturer of a stipped down sax was Buescher and their Academy line. I haven't seen a C-mel in that line of saxes.
yeah and i heard that the academy line of instruments are no where near as sought after as the home model. thats just the jist ive gotten

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I'll say it now. I searched up and apparently there was another Howard home model sold a couple years ago. It's serial number was 17xxx which means that it could not possibly be made by Martin. Their home models were 116xxx or something like that. So Howard seems to be a copy of it instead of a kind of stencil. That's just what it seems to me

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Stencils often didn't follow the same serial numbers as the branded horns. Looks like a Martin home model to me (I had one for a while, interesting little horn). It would have been waaaaay too much trouble for an off brand ("Howard") to manufacture a copycat horn back in the day. Not really feasible. I'd say 95% likely its a Martin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stencils often didn't follow the same serial numbers as the branded horns. Looks like a Martin home model to me (I had one for a while, interesting little horn). It would have been waaaaay too much trouble for an off brand ("Howard") to manufacture a copycat horn back in the day. Not really feasible. I'd say 95% likely its a Martin.
ahh alright. so i guess its more rare than a regular home model. because ive only seen two that were sold. mine and the one that i listed the picture of that was sold 3 years ago. while ive seen 3 i guess regular ones in the past week

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Yeah, some of the stencil horns were made in very small batches. I've seen some WEIRD stencils on old horns that were actually made by Martin/Conn/etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts