Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone has tried this for a DIY ligature.I've used electrical cable ties,also known as tie wraps.They come in various widths (and colours if you wish.)
Form a loop with the tie and place it over the mouthpiece with reed in place,pull really tight with pliers,cut off the excess and smooth end with sandpaper.The further you pull the ligature onto the mouthpiece the tighter it becomes.I've used 2 narrow ties on a Meyer baritone piece and a single wider one on a baritone Otto Link.
I'm sure any combination of widths could be used to get the desired end result.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Er... but what's the sound like, and is it easy to adjust? I use Rovners on my saxes, and have done for 20 years. I like the ease of setting it and the warmth it adds to the tone. I remember somebody else used rubber bands. Anyway, at the end of the day it's "to each his own". (I have to stop this.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had no problem with the sound,I can't hear much difference than with a normal ligature.As for adjusting,once it's in position it's pretty rigid,the thing is it holds the reed tight.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I think Calude Delangle uses string. The ligature doesn't matter as long as it holds the reed properly. See Pete Thomas' website for more info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks like a much cheaper hybrid of the old Rovner Evo-5 and a Ligaphone Universal (those "custom fit" ones with that little plastic band that you trim the excess from after you've fitted it to your mouthpiece). What the hey, I'll give it a try and compare it to other ligatures I have!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think Calude Delangle uses string. The ligature doesn't matter as long as it holds the reed properly. See Pete Thomas' website for more info.
He uses the Vandoren Klassic string ligature on soprano and the M/O on alto now.

G

·
Er... but what's the sound like, and is it easy to adjust? I use Rovners on my saxes, and have done for 20 years. I like the ease of setting it and the warmth it adds to the tone. I remember somebody else used rubber bands. Anyway, at the end of the day it's "to each his own". (I have to stop this.)
I just tried a rubber band on my tenor, and it gives a dark, fuzzy, buzzie sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
Rubber bands' aren't a good idea on metal mouthpieces.
The trouble with the ties is they aren't too easy to remove/ adjust. If you want a cheap alternative I've found velcro can do the trick. It has to be placed higher up the mouthpiece than the final position and pulled into place so that it is tight enough. But it works well. I always have a bit of double-sided velcro in the case just in case of emergencies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I +1 the velcro. I keep a bit in my case for ligature emergencies and for when I am trying an odd sized piece. Works well and folds flat for easy storage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,615 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts