Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, my buddy in new york, whose a heavyweight in the saxworld, told me alot of guys are using these altos now.
I told him there s a music store near me that carries them, so i went today to check it out.

Holy sh*t!!!!!!

This alto kills! Huge sound, powerful, and it pops.

Ive tried alot of the modern altos...and this one knocked me over.

...just bought it today----very very happy.

Just wanted to share in case you want an alto thats inexpensive, feels great, and sounds great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a fantastic player. Yep...its considered a student horn.

The shop i went to sold it to me brand new for $600.

Its a crazy great horn. No negatives that i can find.

The pad job is as tight as any i have ever had...and that includes ernie sola, randy, maslin, and emilios work!

Seriously, i cant find any reason to go with another horn. The sound is super clean, clear, huge, and in tune.

I had my tuner with me, and there were no issues.

Altissimo scream. I'm talking 4 g's with ease. Key heights are nicely set up. Perfect for me.

Look, i dont have any monetary gain in the selmer-conn company---i'm just trying to recommend a great horn for very little money to ya all. :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
One of my students has one of these. I have played it and was very impressed at the sound and intonation. Build quality and ergonomics felt as good as any 23.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Oh good night people! It's a POC from the PRC or the ROC! But enjoy it while you can. It'll fall apart with in 12 months! It has too because thus it has been decreed!!!! :twisted: :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I happened to be buying reeds at a Sam Ash and was helping a newbee older fellow buy his first tenor. They were trying to sell him one of their house brands. He had me play a few tenors for him. The Prelude was the lesser of three evils. It sounded fuller than the other two on a 7*Link. I wasn't too impressed myself, but he bought the Prelude. I didn't think it was good form to offer one of my own used horns in front of the salesman, who was keeping an eye and ear on what I was telling him. I guess the alto is better by comparison.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Yes, I think for a while quite a few of us have been saying that some/many of the newer generation of Chinese saxophones are very good (we tend to get scoffed at though by some people who assume they can't be). I tried a Prelude about 4 or 5 years ago and was extremely impressed. I haven't tried one lately, though if Stephen Howard says the build quality is not as good as it once was, that is disappointing. Mind you the same might be said about Selmer Paris instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I happened to be buying reeds at a Sam Ash and was helping a newbee older fellow buy his first tenor. They were trying to sell him one of their house brands. He had me play a few tenors for him. The Prelude was the lesser of three evils. It sounded fuller than the other two on a 7*Link. I wasn't too impressed myself, but he bought the Prelude. I didn't think it was good form to offer one of my own used horns in front of the salesman, who was keeping an eye and ear on what I was telling him. I guess the alto is better by comparison.
That's been my impression of the tenors. The alto plays fine, the tenor gets kicked into a corner by other brands - particularly the basic Bauhaus-Walstein.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I've tried Prelude altos and tenors (mostly altos). The altos were by far better than many Chinese/cheap modern altos I've tried, but also not as good as several other modern cheap altos I've tried. They were also a bit more expensive (here) than some others that are pretty much at the same level (from either side). But in general they are nothing like the older, falling apart in hours, exteremely cheaply made Chinese saxophone of the past (which still pop up surprisingly often in spite of what else is available).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Y'know, every once in awhile a "student" horn will surprise you! It sounds as if 10mfan found a gem! I sincerely hope that his sax doesn't "...fall apart in six months..." as a couple of people have reported (speculated?) It sounds as if the alto is definitely a step or two above the tenor! Still, at $600 it's a pretty good deal! Thanks for giving us another option!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I HAD ANOTHER CHINESE STUDENT HORN BEFORE THIS ONE.
I HAD SOLD MY 95% MINT 52,XXX SBA ALTO THAT I GOT FROM MY FRIEND JOEL PESKIN, AS SOON AS I PLAYED THAT ONE.
IT DIDNT NEED ANY ADJUSTMENT FOR 5 YEARS! ....AND I PLAY EVERYDAY. ALL IT NEEDED WAS A NEW NECK CORK AND THE LOW Eb WAS LEAKING A LITTLE WHEN I BROUGHT IT IN...AFTER 5 YEARS OF PLAYING ON IT.

I HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH THESE CHINESE HORNS....I'M NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT THE HORN FALLING APART. THE PAD JOB AND SET-UP ON THIS PRELUDE ARE INCREDIBLE.

I LOVED THE SOUND OF MY OTHER CHINESE HORN, BUT THE KEYBOARD WAS NEVER GREAT FOR ME. IT WAS JUST OK.
WHEN I FOUND THIS PRELUDE, IT FELT PERFECT, OTHER THAN MAYBE NEEDING TO BUILD UP THE HIGH F PALM KEY A LITTLE TO FIT ME BETTER.

I'VE PLAYED IT A FEW DAYS NOW, AND ITS SMOKIN'! HIGH F# AND G COME OUT SUPER CLEAN. ON MY OTHER CHINESE HORN, THEY ALWAYS HAD THAT SANBORN HARMONICS SOUND TO THEM, UNLESS I PLAYED THEM SUPER QUIET.

I AM VERY VERY PLEASED WITH THIS NEW HORN.

I HOPE OTHERS WILL TRY THEM OUT. HARD TO BEAT A BRAND NEW, PERFECTLY SET-UP HORN FOR THIS MONEY....AND MOST IMPORTANT---THE SOUND IS GREAT!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I suppose the question is "If I went out to my LMS and bought one, would it also have a perfect pad job and set up?" Any brand can fluke the occasional gem with a great pad job and set up, but its consistently sending out well set up horns that reputations are made off. Sounds like its worth checking out though for those in the market, at least its a reputable, recognised name, and will have widespread distribution.

I guess it goes to show that setup is super important, a well set up student horn is as much, or more of a pleasure to play than a 5 digit VI with a crappy pad job.

Are all Preludes made in the same factory even? With a large company like Conn-Selmer it seems possible that they have contract with several subcontractors to make and set up the horns isnt it? Anyone in the know?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried out several of these at the music store and all were tight and set-up great.
They were all excellent players. Couldnt find a dud in any of them..

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have had one for 4 years and love it.it plays in tune right thro the registers.middle c sharp is a bit flat but i use diff fingering.why pay ten times more for a big name horn.mine cost me £170 from normans music shop in the uk. mally:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Middle C# is right in tune on mine. You should have your repair tech check that out. Its probably just a simple adjustment.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
Middle C# is right in tune on mine. You should have your repair tech check that out. Its probably just a simple adjustment.
It can't be the horn. It must be one those $3000 mouthpieces! :):)

B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts