Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the Tech. with my Alto, and I started playing. And holy Crap, this 800 is crazy good. It played perfectly the full range of the horn. It needs to go back, becuase the High F# key isn't working, and I would like to get that to happen. But other than that its great. Nice tone all the way up and down the horn. Tuning is off becuase I can't push my mouthpiece in all the way, but DANG. I highly recomend these horns.
Anybody else have this expierence with these horns?

~Carbs

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yanagisawa makes VERY nice altos. I'm having a blast with my A991UL (not to mention my SC991S). Man, Yanagisawa altos and sopranos are truly awesome.

I remember trying a friend's A900 back in 2001 and was blown away by it. I've always liked Yanagisawa. Their horns have a really nice lean quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
Carbs you have discovered the beauty of Yanagisawa, congratulations! You're really going to like it, but the tuning shouldn't be that far off with either your C** or Runyon. Have your tech look at it again. Is this the one you were asking about earlier for something like $300??? If so you got a steal!

Again, Congrats!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this is my $300 dollar Axe. It is simply amazing. I will bring it in sometime next week, to get the High F# key worked on. ITs not totally important for it to be working but it is still nice. The reason I think my tuning may be shot is that the neck cork is to fat and just needs to be pushed in alittle for my S8-C**, or I might just check out the Runyon on it, I haven't done that yet. But Still Holy Crap, and I am a Selmer Man mostly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
$300? Yeah, that's a steal. I got my 880 for $750 and consider that a steal since I see people on Craigslist selling Yamaha 23's for that much (or at least trying to).

·
14,268 Posts
Carbs; If you have to send the saxophone somewhere (like ship it) , maybe you should try to fix the problems yourself. Like, why isn't the F# working? Unattached spring, etc.?

And to shove on the mouthpiece more, merely sand the cork a wee bit (being careful not to mar the finish on the neck - some masking tape will cover that for you) or use more cork grease.

I agree about Yanagisawa saxophones. I had an 880 alto for a long time and my grandson plays it now - very well, I might add. DAVE.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This horn works to well for me to mess with that one thing, and also its under warentee. The tech. I brought it to is amazing. I brought the horn into her yesterday told her that I really would like the horn done by Tuesday. She told me she was going out of town, and would try to get it done by today. And she was able to do it for me. Its an amazing horn, no matter what other members say. I can't wait for Thursday, so I can put it up against my P.T.'s Super Action 80 Serie I alto. I will say that with the Runyon their is alot of force behind it, probably not the best for Classical playing, but I may have just found my Jazz mouthpiece for it. This is on a 3 Java.
But if you think Yani's are Bad then man your smokin something. Becuase these things are killer. (like the price to)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Carbs,

Your revelation that Yanagisawa's are superb horns is no new revelation at all. ;)
In spite of a few comments to the contrary on a forum board that, by the very nature of the beast, holds preciously little short term accountability for posts made (or the source), Yanagisawa horns are held in high esteem, and used by many world class artists.

As I told you, let your own ears do the judging, as opinions are a dime a dozen and come in every flavor.

I knew you'd be happy with it.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Carbs, you Dweeb!

Is this the horn you said you didn't want to keep and generated an eight page thread about replacing it with a Selmer? :banghead:

Think of all the time you could have saved yourself and every one else if you had've just taken the advice to take your YanA to a tech in the first place.

(Oh. psssst. Glad you're digging it. Have fun. Good on ye, kid. :D )

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
No, that was his Martin HC Troubadour (a fine horn that I still stand by) I think. I can't keep up either.

But hey, the search is over, so no foul.:D

But one question Carbs,
How did you get an almost 2000 post count in less than a few months? Jeez, I'm at only a bit over 3000 myself, and I'm an Administrator who has been a member since 2003 (on the Vbulletin incarnation, earlier on the other).:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ask alot of questions ;).
Most of them are joke things probably. That and horn questions. I would have liked to have kept the Martin Troubadour, but it just needed to much work and no use in college. So I pretty much used that money for this horn. Dang good bargin.
It hasn't been that many horns has it? Anyway I have only owned this many Alto's.
1. Selmer Bundy II (which I bought to sell)
2. YAS-23 (I kept it, killer back up horn)
3. Martin Handcraft Troubadour (I sold)
4. Yanigasawa 800 (my main horn)
thats not that many is their?

·
Registered
243 Posts
this young man has got the bug good and I predict he'll amass a collection to rival anyone's
Carbs wait to you try a good King or a Couf you'll cream

·
4,147 Posts
EastCoastGhost said:
this young man has got the bug good and I predict he'll amass a collection to rival anyone's

Yep. The Yani will just be the girl next door when you go off to college. The (slighty) older ones are so much better.;)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
EastCoastGhost said:
LOL. Carbs, I've had only two altos in the last 13 or 14 years. :D

·
2,960 Posts
congrats! i have a closet full of vintage altos but havnt played many of them since i bought my yani 800 for 200$ on ebay 10 yrs ago. indeed a killer horn ! it will smoke with the runyon custom

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sadily I am out of space right now for another Alto. Though I am sure I could find some if I had to ;)
congrats! i have a closet full of vintage altos but havnt played many of them since i bought my yani 800 for 200$ on ebay 10 yrs ago. indeed a killer horn ! it will smoke with the runyon custom
Your right about that. I should probably go up a half step in reed size on the Runyon. Their is just too much power behind it.

·
4,544 Posts
i definitely have the disease...got five altos currently and don't play that much, but two of them are Yanis (880 and 991). Two of them are JKs and the last is a cannonball...

The 880 is the one that I reach for...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've been through a few altos too.

My first horn was a bundy II that I still use for marching.
My first pro horn was my series III that I'm going to be trading for an SBA at junkdude soon.
Last year I bought a "the martin" alto from junkdude. Ended up trading that horn for my conn 6m, morgan 6m, and a new case.

I don't even touch the series III anymore. Even though I'm getting an SBA (about 95% likely), I have doubts that it will beat the conn.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts