Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trombone playing friend wants to take up the sax and asked me to find him a used tenor to learn on. Cheap chinese saxes scare me so I found a Holton made in Elkhorn WI that seems to be mechanically sound for a good price. The owner agreed to play it for us and I'll suggest that if he buys it to take it into the shop for an evaluation as well. It seems undervalued but quite frankly I know nothing about tenors. What are you opinions on Holton saxes--esecially the tenors? Do they make for a good student horns? Anyone here learn on a Holton?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add the budget won't allow for a Vito sax which is a model thats been highly has been highly recommended here.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I hade a Holton tenor which played well but they are not highly prized or valued
The Later ones are Martin stencils and are great horns check the serial No and look for soldered tone holes

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Holton is a Collegiate model, so I wouldn't expect any of the esoteric keywork earlier Holtons are noted for---we're looking for just a good solid low priced tenor sax to learn on and he dosen't want to take a gamble on the chinese stuff. If it is a Martin stencil, so much the better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts