Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Holton Stratodyne alto that I found on Craig's List about 10 years back. I am in the process of liquidating some of my small collection, and I have no idea what this horn is worth. There just aren't many examples out there. I will try and post a picture. This horn needs an overhaul, one dent taken out and it appears that the neck has suffered a slight pull down. Thank you.

I've been a member of SOTW for years, but this is my first post. Hopefully I am doing it correctly.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I need a closer look. You'll have to ship it to me and I can tell you.
All honesty a tenor stratodyne went for about 2k USD a year-ish ago on feebay. I was sad I didn't buy it. I would put the alto at 1200 to 1500 if it is good to go out of the box. 500 to 750 maybe since it needs work. In my expert opinion. By expert I mean I not at all an expert whatsoever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a closer look. You'll have to ship it to me and I can tell you.
All honesty a tenor stratodyne went for about 2k USD a year-ish ago on feebay. I was sad I didn't buy it. I would put the alto at 1200 to 1500 if it is good to go out of the box. 500 to 750 maybe since it needs work. In my expert opinion. By expert I mean I not at all an expert whatsoever.
Thank you for your response. It needs a full overhaul. I may do the re-pad myself in a friends shop. It should bring a little more money with that. Even at 1200 to 1500 fully set up, someone will get a professional alto for a descent price. Not to mention, a piece of American history.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,210 Posts
Who made these horns? This one is beautiful.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am still kicking myself for not picking up a near mint Stratodyne tenor selling locally for $1900. It did need an overhaul, but.........It look like a KILLIN' horn!

Bodie, does your alto have the sterling silver neck?

Later,

JOel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize for not responding to your posts in a timely manner. I thought this thread died out early.
BigDaddyJ, this sax does not have the sterling silver neck. I wasn't aware Holton sold any with a silver neck.
You are correct JayeLID. It is a fine example of a rare horn. A local picker up here in Northern California found it in Arizona and brought it back. I was shocked to see it on Craig's list.
Anyway, I have not done anything with it as of yet. When the time comes, I plan to offer the horn to SOTW members first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.