Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a Holton 244 Stratodyne tenor I have been looking for a long time. Looking at the photos it appears to be in fair condition with pretty good lacquer and beautiful silver neck and original case. I am not expecting it to be in good playing condition though. After I have received it (hopefully in one or two weeks) I will get it overhauled completely as well as my 232 alto. I am soooo excited… In a meanwhile I enjoy my 243 tenor, also a beautiful player.

IMG_2275.jpg IMG_2274.jpg IMG_2273.jpg IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2270.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,309 Posts
Congratulations! I saw that auction. Glad you’re ending up with it. You certainly waited long enough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,261 Posts
Please come back and give your impressions after it is overhauled. Especially in comparison to your 243 tenor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will definitely keep you posted. I am also happy with the price, 622 USD at goodwill.com The one that was sold last summer was around 800 USD but it was not as clean as this one if I remember right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,171 Posts
Congratulations! I will much look forward to the music you create and play with this instrument (or any other).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Congratulations! I will much look forward to the music you create and play with this instrument (or any other)."

Thanks Brasscane! I will do my best!
I will continue the search for 234 Stratodyne alto...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Guess who bid $620? Congratulations on getting what looks like a great horn!"

oopss... Thanks! I hope there will be soon another one for you!!!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
It is my pleasure to see it got into the hands of someone who sounds enthusiastic about it. Sorry I couldn't have saved you a few $ :). I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the horn once you have it all set up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations! I missed this auction or would have been bidding as well:) The 244 is something I have been trying to get hold of for several years - somehow it has become my fantasy horn (I have a 241 tenor and 232 alto)....please let us know how it plays.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to keep you guys updated: I received the sax a month ago. It looks really good but was unfortunately unplayable and needs a complete overhaul. My tech is very busy at the moment so the horn will be overhauled not earlier than late September. I will get back with a report when it is done.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be able to tell you in two months when /besides my Stratodyne tenor ) I will also get my 241 overhauled. But I would expect them to play slightly different from each other since the Stratodyne has a solid silver neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
I will be able to tell you in two months when /besides my Stratodyne tenor ) I will also get my 241 overhauled. But I would expect them to play slightly different from each other since the Stratodyne has a solid silver neck.
Looking forward it .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The overhaul of my Stratodyne tenor is still in process... it seems to take loooong cause my tech has been very busy. But two weeks ago I got my 241 tenor (1947) back from overhaul, and it plays just fantastic. It has now Pisoni pads with no rests but rivets only (as originally). It delivers very even, focused/centered sound that is somewhere between Selmer and Conn. And the pitch is spot on, very steady not that flexible. The ergos of this 241 (like 243) are superb and more selmerish than other great american tenors I have tried. Generally speaking this 241 is very close to 243, only very slight differencies. But I believe the thing is that this 241 is just a better example than the 243 I have played. Also the overhaul worked out better. Anyhow it's the best Holton I have tried so far and definitely one of my three favorite tenors besides Buescher TH&C and The Martin. I am looking forward how the silver neck of the Stratodyne makes any difference...

Any report on the post-overhaul performance? Comparison to the 243? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts