Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's see 'em! (Couturiers too). Tell us about yours, describe, pros, cons, whatever.

Here's mine: s/n 28514 putting it at a 1927 manufacture. Although it doesn't look like it in my phone pics, it's Gold sandblast finish, with burnished gold keywork. Note some of the trademark Holton extra keywork. Also, this has a nice LH spatula with full G#, and is keyed up to high F with a front F! Typical Holton soldered NON-beveled toneholes too. I'm semi-surprised it doesn't have a thumb ring, but it's just a traditional thumb hook. I got it off ebay, but it plays well, ands someone has repadded with large resonators. I'm not really a sop guy, but this plays really nicely. I use a little Morgan Protone on it, as well as a Yamaha 4C. In the pics, the keys look worn, but that's just the flash--no significant wear, and finish is beautiful in person.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Flute
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Bicycle part Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument
Blue Drinkware Aqua Table Electric blue
Musical instrument Wind instrument Amber Body jewelry Art

·
Registered
735 Posts
They advertised these as the "New Revelation" model. My own s/n 26k one looks to have the same finish (appears to be satin silver body, but maybe the thin gold has polished away over the years - whereas the gold keys still retain their gold). The only difference: mine is a C-Soprano! If you think the front F is rare for a Bb vintage Soprano, try finding one on another C-Soprano! Plays very nicely too. Not for sale! Cheers...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here is my gold-plated Holton C sop.
Musical instrument Reed instrument Reed Saxophone Human body

·
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear more about Holton C Sops! They must have made as many as they did Bb models.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting: Another gold Sop very near mine on s/n (107 off: 28407 vice my 28514--unless it's a 23XXX and just looks like an 8), and no front F. On "Get-a-Sax" page via Pinterest. For sale, but I can't find a price.

·
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the scoop on this one? (on saxophone.org)

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/model/273

VERY LATE serial number for a Sop, and the only Collegiate sop I've seen (s/b 201886)

BUT....beveled tone holes, thumb ring, and non- Holton serial number stampings among other things. Is it a leftover Couturier? Is it a stencil from Martin or someone else???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,282 Posts
It is a Courturier made in the 1928-early 30s period. I think this was about the time that Courturier became a Holton property. The L&H serial numbers were the same and the earliest I have sen is late 1927 when the 200,000 numbers started. thumb ring, L shaped G# that also opened low C# and interlocking LH palm keys.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I had the pleasure of playing a Wiedoeft Bb Soprano at my techs shop about a week ago. Wow! The tone was beautifully dark and sweet on my Selmer Metal G.

The left hand stack keys felt really small but overall it was almost exactly what I was looking for in a Soprano tonally.

How frequently do they come up for sale, and how much do they tend to go for?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forum Runner

·
21,282 Posts
They are usually under $1,000 in really good shape, less needing work. Most have that RH C# trill and a front F. The ones in C fetch a bit more as they are keyed to high F, rare for a C soprano and play quite well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Hello- It's been a while since I sent any comments. I play professionally from classic jazz to bop, using various horns, including an early 1920s C soprano and a 1929 Rudy, both by Holton. I often receive comments on their clarity of sound, great intonation (the best of the era) and the capability for rapid play, due to the ergonomics. The mouthpiece for the C is an extremely rare C model Goldbeck and the original stock resin-coated Holton mouthpiece works well with the Bb Rudy. The original Holton pads were hard felt-backed leather. I set up both of these horns with Music Medic flat resonator Roo pads, which gives them both a lively sound. I would rather re-pad three tenors than one soprano due to the tiny tolerances. Music Medic products are excellent. My opinion: Holtons were in the very best level. Any company that built the among world's greatest brass instruments also made truly great saxophones.

·
21,282 Posts
Don't overlook those Yamaha 4C mouthpieces on the C soprano. My all time favorite to get good intonation and a decent sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
Jazzbug, you’re back!

·
400 Posts
I was mistaken for a string instrument player and was guitarred and feathered by a mob. Took a while to clean up.

·
1,604 Posts
Here is my Holton C Soprano. It's ready for a rebuild now, after removing the original pads and lots of polishing :)
Plant Wood Wind instrument Grass Window

·
21,282 Posts
I think these Holtons may be the best C sopranos made. I have had 3 and the intonation was as good as the Bb ones of the day. Also they are rare in that they go up to high F.

·
1,604 Posts
I have been playing a silver plated Buescher C for years (remember that one Bruce?) and really looking forward to playing this Holton, once it's ready. I can get a solid high E on the Buescher, but never found a reliable fingering for F or F#. Hopefully the Holton will be exactly what I hope it is :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
… really looking forward to playing this Holton, once it's ready. I can get a solid high E on the Buescher, but never found a reliable fingering for F or F#. Hopefully the Holton will be exactly what I hope it is :)
Please post a little review here once you get her up and running. Would be interesting to read your Buescher comparisons.

·
21,282 Posts
I have been playing a silver plated Buescher C for years (remember that one Bruce?) and really looking forward to playing this Holton, once it's ready. I can get a solid high E on the Buescher, but never found a reliable fingering for F or F#. Hopefully the Holton will be exactly what I hope it is :)
For a horn only going to high Eb, you can finger G2 and add the palm Eb, for E, G#2 and for F, A2 all with the palm Eb. You may need to shorten the cork on the palm Eb and some also open the palm D. For high F#, use the right hand side Bb lever. Experiment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts