Sax on the Web Forum banner
881 - 900 of 913 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Low serials have a rare new member:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Holton-Te...804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bae835ec

Made by
Frank Holton Co.
Chicago

# 561 Bb tenor
# 639 Eb alto
# 759 Eb alto
# 848 Bb tenor
# 868 Bb tenor
# 1169 C-melody s.p. 'deluxe'-engraving
# 1189 Eb alto
# 1200 Eb alto

No saxophones were produced from spring 1918 until 1920 (ca.two years)
Ca. 4,000 numbers are fictious!
Production continued at first in Chicago (for one ore two months) early in 1920,
then in Elkhorn.

# 5483 Eb alto
# 5639 C-melody made in Chicago!

Made by
Frank Holton Co.
Elkhorn
WIS

# 5881 Bb tenor made in Elkhorn!
# 6196 C mel
# 6311 Es alto
# 6829 C mel
# 7686 C mel
# 8517 C mel
# 9501 C mel
# 9799 C mel
# 9866 C mel
Recent sighting. Information was forwarded to me by an acquaintance.
It would be really nice if a member acquired this and would be willing to post more details.

Chicago C melody #1027
Silver touches
post under the palm keys.
High F

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #886 ·
OMG pig squealer! Thank you so much. I just about had a heart attack when I saw the page was missing. Felix spent so much time and effort making that list.

·
4,780 Posts
OMG pig squealer! Thank you so much. I just about had a heart attack when I saw the page was missing. Felix spent so much time and effort making that list.
You're very welcome. There are so many things missing. Practically all of my bookmark favorites no longer exist. I hope we get the pictures back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 ·
PigSquealer, I just checked my "archives" and have pages 2 and 3 of Felix's list if you need 'em.

·
4,780 Posts
PigSquealer, I just checked my "archives" and have pages 2 and 3 of Felix's list if you need 'em.
Yes please, just post it here for everyone to enjoy. Thank goodness you have the rest.
Laporte still shows in searches. I tried searching for Felix's page....no go. You remember the one with old SOTW header and his picture....goner. 12-15 years of Holton archived pictures gone. Many of the conversations are worthless without the picture references.
Good job PigSquealer! The migration has removed so much valuable information.
Thank you ! It's going to be a while before we find out what's returning. This serial number list is priceless. I can't even imagine the research hours Felix put in to making it.....years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a local shop that has a recently refurbished (new pads, resonators, neck cork, larger thumb hook) Holton Bb soprano that I'm interested in, but am having trouble identifying exactly what it is. Serial #113260, puts it at 1932 if the serial lists I've found have any validity. No "model" number that I can ascertain from the pictures. It shows the arched serial number with "Elkhorn, WI" and "U.S.A." below. Between the serial and Elkhorn there looks to be two stamped capital letters that I can sort of make out as LP, but I'm not sure.

The bell engraving just says
MADE BY
Frank Holton (in script)
Elkhorn,
WI

The serial number could either be Revelation or Collegiate. Which is which and is the quality different? Assuming the collegiate line is "student quality"?
They're asking $1195, which I think is high, but how much too high? I found a 1928 model on reverb that's priced at $550 that's in not quite as good shape. Having a hard time finding solid information on the Holton sopranos. Best I can tell is that it's maybe a Revelation Series 1b (has front F).

Any info helps. Thanks

·
4,780 Posts
I have a local shop that has a recently refurbished (new pads, resonators, neck cork, larger thumb hook) Holton Bb soprano that I'm interested in, but am having trouble identifying exactly what it is. Serial #113260, puts it at 1932 if the serial lists I've found have any validity. No "model" number that I can ascertain from the pictures. It shows the arched serial number with "Elkhorn, WI" and "U.S.A." below. Between the serial and Elkhorn there looks to be two stamped capital letters that I can sort of make out as LP, but I'm not sure.

The bell engraving just says
MADE BY
Frank Holton (in script)
Elkhorn,
WI

The serial number could either be Revelation or Collegiate. Which is which and is the quality different? Assuming the collegiate line is "student quality"?
They're asking $1195, which I think is high, but how much too high? I found a 1928 model on reverb that's priced at $550 that's in not quite as good shape. Having a hard time finding solid information on the Holton sopranos. Best I can tell is that it's maybe a Revelation Series 1b (has front F).

Any info helps. Thanks
Late 1932 is correct. No model numbers until the Collegiate line (Post 1933ish). All Holton's of that era were pro instruments. No student anything until '50's. Front F 1925 onwards. Yes Revelation.
$1200 with a overhaul & roo pads is high but not awful.
Not much around on sopranos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Late 1932 is correct. No model numbers until the Collegiate line (Post 1933ish). All Holton's of that era were pro instruments. No student anything until '50's. Front F 1925 onwards. Yes Revelation.
$1200 with a overhaul & roo pads is high but not awful.
Not much around on sopranos.
Thanks for the confirmation. Went today to play it and bought it. They came down to $1100 and threw in a nice mouthpiece and ligature. Looked much nicer in person than the pictures showed and it sounds wonderful even with me playing with really out of shape chops.

·
Registered
Yanagisawa AWO1 and Yanagisawa TWO33
3 Posts
I just got a Holton Soprano.
Front bell engraving:
MADE BY
Frank Holton
ELKHORN
WIS
Back bell engraving
Bb
17 402
L P​

·
4,780 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Went today to play it and bought it. They came down to $1100 and threw in a nice mouthpiece and ligature. Looked much nicer in person than the pictures showed and it sounds wonderful even with me playing with really out of shape chops.
I just got a Holton Soprano.
Front bell engraving:
MADE BY
Frank Holton
ELKHORN
WIS
Back bell engraving
Bb
17 402
L P​
Maybe the two of you would enjoy sharIng your sax pictures & playing experience here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe the two of you would enjoy sharIng your sax pictures & playing experience here.
I haven't had much time to play it much, and my chops are REALLY out of whack. The pandemic has not been kind to my practicing. But so far, I really like the tone and the intonation is very even across the whole range (that I can get notes out of). I'm having trouble with the very top end of the register, but it's just me. I'm usually a tenor player, so I've got some work to do on the soprano. It is in remarkably good condition for a 90 year old instrument. I would say the lacquer is about 90%. The satin is probably 100%, but the polished on the keys is flaking in places. Again, not bad, and not completely unsurprising.

·
4,780 Posts
I haven't had much time to play it much, and my chops are REALLY out of whack. The pandemic has not been kind to my practicing. But so far, I really like the tone and the intonation is very even across the whole range (that I can get notes out of). I'm having trouble with the very top end of the register, but it's just me. I'm usually a tenor player, so I've got some work to do on the soprano. It is in remarkably good condition for a 90 year old instrument. I would say the lacquer is about 90%. The satin is probably 100%, but the polished on the keys is flaking in places. Again, not bad, and not completely unsurprising.
View attachment 8367
Very nice !
The thread I referred you two to is all about the comments you've just made. Until the pictures get reloaded yours here will be the only on record. Could you post this above there too Please. A view of the engraving is useful also.
Originally your inquiry mentioNed a shortage of SOP information. Go to the thread. Turf3 has posted a fix you may be interested in.
Thank you for posting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice !
The thread I referred you two to is all about the comments you've just made. Until the pictures get reloaded yours here will be the only on record. Could you post this above there too Please. A view of the engraving is useful also.
Originally your inquiry mentioNed a shortage of SOP information. Go to the thread. Turf3 has posted a fix you may be interested in.
Thank you for posting
Thanks, I missed that you were pointing the other thread. Just for the record here, here are the engraving/stamps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just joined this community about an hour ago. I have a Holton Alto silver saxophone, serial #30319. This instrument belonged to my father who played it in dance bands in Canada ( I still reside in Toronto) in the 1930’s.
The saxophone is in pretty good shape but I’m kicking around the idea of undertaking an overhaul, something I’ve never done. I’m relatively handy so I think I could pull if off. I am interested in the date of manufacture, but as has been noted on the forum, there appears to be serial number lists that don’t jive with one another.
I’d appreciate any comments.
Thanks, Laurie Lyon, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

·
4,780 Posts
I just joined this community about an hour ago. I have a Holton Alto silver saxophone, serial #30319. This instrument belonged to my father who played it in dance bands in Canada ( I still reside in Toronto) in the 1930's.
The saxophone is in pretty good shape but I'm kicking around the idea of undertaking an overhaul, something I've never done. I'm relatively handy so I think I could pull if off. I am interested in the date of manufacture, but as has been noted on the forum, there appears to be serial number lists that don't jive with one another.
I'd appreciate any comments.
Thanks, Laurie Lyon, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Greetings and welcome to SOTW. What you have was made in late 1927. Could be a Rudy Weidoeft mode. lucky you ! To keep this thread more on subject please continue your conversation here. Members will gladly participate with information.
Meanwhile If you care to post some pictures here look at the upper right three dots next to your icon. FAQ how to post images.

881 - 900 of 913 Posts