Sax on the Web Forum banner
861 - 880 of 909 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Hello- Bought an Ebay Rudy model soprano, serial #32462. This is a early Rudy soprano and is not engraved with the Wiedoeft model engraving. My teacher studied under Wiedoeft and explained to me that the Holton horns had features copied from French horns of the 1910 era, including the low C breather key on the Wiedoft models, the same side bell keys on the Wiedoeft model, and present on all models, the palm key trill mechanism. He explained to me that Wiedoft had no input in the design and was simply paid a fee to allow the use of his name. Holton started using his name on the C melody first, then extended to the soprano, tenor, baritone, and the very popular alto by late 1928. I have a properly engrved soprano from 1929 with a serial # about 500 higher than my new purchase. These horns are remarkable players and very scarce. This Rudy will receive metal resonator "Roo" pads, a good case, and a full re-build for Ebay sale in a few months. I have played my Rudy at many performances and other musicians are impressed by the intonation a excellent ton qualities. Happy Honking
Jazzbug, if you're selling the old case, I'd be interested. My Holton sop has a horrible aftermarket case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' clarinet
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Hello- I kept the case for my Rudy, which has an aftermarket case which will be sold with the Ebay Rudy. Sorry...sniff..sniff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Today I purchased the Holton C-melody (silver plated), Elkhorn, number 5990. If I understand correctly, it was produced in 1921?

·
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #871 ·
Link didn’t work for me either.

·
4,612 Posts
Holton #36677 Silver plate with a gold wash bell?. There is no letter “R” stamped under the serial number. Eb above and LP below only. It has the original mouthpiece with silver face/rails/tip. Complete with clamp and no cork on neck. Has absolutely no signs of use with original non-rivet (puma skin?) pads.Case has no odor. It was owned by the sellers grandfather, one family for 89 years(if 1930).

Matches all the specifications of post #1 here including the case.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?191919-Wiedoft-models-1929-compared-to-1930

It’s 34 numbers off of this one.
https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/334

Attachments

·
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·
Pigsquealer, that engraving is beautiful. Have you thought about polishing the front of the bell to show it off?

·
4,612 Posts
Pigsquealer, that engraving is beautiful. Have you thought about polishing the front of the bell to show it off?
I picked the thing up four days ago. From the looks of it I don’t think it has ever been cleaned. There is no cleaning residue in any of the crevices. That’s 89-year-old patina! Not sure what to do. It can only be original once. I’m dying to clean it and play it. At the same time something in the back of my head is saying don’t touch. Yeah that’s a beautiful engraving, thanks.

·
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #878 ·
Not talking about buffing. Just a gentle silver polish but that’s up to you.

·
4,612 Posts
861 - 880 of 909 Posts