Sax on the Web Forum banner
301 - 320 of 913 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Some cool Holtons have really been turning up lately. Here's another one. Have you ever seen a "Professional" model? It's an alto on ebay. Serial number 39608 and has the single letter R as in Rudy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380091787642

C/Eb keys made from tooling brought over from LaPorte:

"master" keys:

serial and 'R'

keyguard:

quote from Felix: "Soybean,
A really interesting model, some sort of special edition, not yet mentioned in the model list! The engraving could be found on a baritone series '270', too. The right hand pinky keys were made with tools referred from LaPorte to Elkhorn after closing the factory. Same design can be found on Collegiate II and Revelation II (geauxsax' tenor)."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
It's like a Franken-alto! Rudy cues on the extra keys (and "R" in the sn), 230-series bell keys and guard, and yes--as Felix said: The LaPorte RH pinky keys, just like my Rev II Tenor. Very interesting!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The silver plated Holton bari series 270 has SN# 130692. The number puts it to the year 1939. The engraving shows a unique floral design, which I never found before on a Holton saxophone.
HOLTON alto saxophone, the 'PROFESSIONAL'

Collecting the facts:

engraving:
PROFESSIONAL
HOLTON
ELKHORN
WIS​

*rare floral engraving found until now on one other saxophone (bari series 270)
*new 'HOLTON'-characters
*no 'made by'
*serial number #39603 (one of the highest 5 digit numbers seen)
*additional 'R' usually seen on the 'Rudy Wiedoeft model', but
*no specific 'Rudy'-features (C-vent key, neck with tuning-slide mpc receiver) except
*LH bell keys
*'masterkeys' like on all Revelation I and R.W.mod.
*new LH pinky key-table
*LaPorte type RH pinky keys and joint rings
*new keygards (LH bell keys)
*new bow protector

to be continued

·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Are you sure about the gold washed bell? It looked to be plain silver.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Are you sure about the gold washed bell? It looked to be plain silver.
You might be right. I remove it from the list.

Felix

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
HOLTON alto saxophone, the 'PROFESSIONAL'

engraving:
PROFESSIONAL
HOLTON
ELKHORN
WIS​

*rare floral engraving found until now on one other saxophone (bari series 270)
*new 'HOLTON'-characters
*no 'made by'
*serial number #39603 (one of the highest 5 digit numbers seen)
*additional 'R' usually seen on the 'Rudy Wiedoeft model', but
*no specific 'Rudy'-features (C-vent key, neck with tuning-slide mpc receiver) except
*LH bell keys
*'masterkeys' like on all Revelation I and R.W.mod.
*new LH pinky key-table
*LaPorte type RH pinky keys and joint rings
*new keygards (LH bell keys)
*new bow protector
My first impression: An unique specimen put together by a skilled trainee from parts laying around.

My conclusions in short:
Made 1931 during the depression from available tooling (no money for new machines!). The contract with Rudy Wiedoeft was just released, but there had been some body tubes already stamped with an 'R' and a serial number higher than any R.W. model. At the same time Holton experimented to create new models to meet the needs of the market. The 'PROFESSIONAL' could be regarded as a precurser of the 203/204 (ResoTone) although there are many differences.

The phase of experimentation can be reckoned also by the fact, that short after the 'PRO' Holton produced some 'technical' R.W. models without according engraving (e.g. SN #40145). There were no legal issues as the 'Rudy Wiedoeft model' was a pure Holton design with a Holton patent (R.W. was a player, no technician or designer). During the depression Holton might have produced professional saxophones mainly by customer's order.

Felix

·
7,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Your conclusions seem correct to me. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Hi All,
I e-mailed a seller and was told that their Holton Tenor was a model 475 serial #125XXX. Anybody know where this falls as a model....Revelation, Collegiate etc?
Thanks

:borg:
The two numbers don't go well together. If the serial number is correct, the three digit series number begins with a '2'. If the '475' is correct the serial number must be much higher. If it's a 'COLLEGIATE' it's engraved 'COLLEGIATE' '(made) by Holton'. If there is no 'COLLEGIATE' on the front engraving, it's the (professional model) REVELATION.

I just found out that there is a silverplated tenor '475', so my statement could possibly turn out to be wrong and we have to learn new things about the "modern vintage Holton's".

Felix

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
A happy New Year
to all Holton fans,
musicians and
all people
who love
music​

Felix

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Hi Felix, That is the horn that they said was a 475. My eyes are not good enough to decipher anything else. Hopefully whoever bought it reads this forum. It's price got away from me.

:borg:
'475' is seems to be correct. As soon as we have the exact front engraving, I'll include it in the model list as well as the 'PROFESSIONAL'. I know now that I was wrong concerning the relation between series and serial number. Let's have a try reading the front engraving (please correct me!):

HOLTON IDEAL
made by
HOLTON Co.
ELKHORN
WIS.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, here is another one for your registry. My husband got a this one at a flea market. Serial#16706 it is a C low pitch. Frank Holton Co. Elkhorn Wis. Can you tell me any thing about it? It appears to be silver or silvercoated, with pearl keys. In really good shape to be as old as I think it is. It also has the case. Any advice on cleaning it? Can anyone give me an idea on what it is worth? Joan

301 - 320 of 913 Posts