Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Cool, is the clamp indexed like this ?
That is strange. No other photos of this model I have seen the neck screw at this angle. To me it makes no sense mechanically. Are you certain the tightening mechanism wasn't broken at one time and then soldered (braised) back on at that angle?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
That is strange. No other photos of this model I have seen the neck screw at this angle. To me it makes no sense mechanically. Are you certain the tightening mechanism wasn't broken at one time and then soldered (braised) back on at that angle?
This is original. I have reviewed this with a high powered magnifying glass. no signs of repair. Original silver plating still intact. I have never seen another. That's why I was asking....still looking.

Here are my original documenting pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The only possible explanations then might be:

1) The employee at the brazing station when that part was attached had a "brain fart" or got distracted.
2) The "jig" holding that part in place while it was brazed in place slipped and didn't get noticed.
3) It was done deliberately by someone who didn't like Rudy Wiedoeft's playing.
4) It was brazed on like that as a "practical joke" on the inspector at the end of the assembly line.
5) All of the above.

:) :) :)

·
4,780 Posts
The only possible explanations then might be:

1) The employee at the brazing station when that part was attached had a "brain fart" or got distracted.
2) The "jig" holding that part in place while it was brazed in place slipped and didn't get noticed.
3) It was done deliberately by someone who didn't like Rudy Wiedoeft's playing.
4) It was brazed on like that as a "practical joke" on the inspector at the end of the assembly line.
5) All of the above.

:) :) :)
Who knows? Like the OPs horn my unit is not a Rudy. Still it has "R" by the serial number. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?368554-Holton-Post-Rudy-USQMC-Alto
And yet my Rudy has no "R" lol.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised one day to see a left-handed Rudy.

·
4,780 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
I saw that one yesterday. I thought it was interesting how the seller said Rudy sopranos and C-mels were more common than the baris; this is the third Rudy bari I've seen, while I've only seen one each of C-mel and soprano.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I saw that one yesterday. I thought it was interesting how the seller said Rudy sopranos and C-mels were more common than the baris; this is the third Rudy bari I've seen, while I've only seen one each of C-mel and soprano.
Yeah, that particular vendor sells a crapload of old and generally "well used" vintage horns. Must have a wholesale disposal contract/arrangement with several school districts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,571 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,888 Posts

My take. Holton made the RW model as long as he could. At the same time producing a "transitional "(no name). A split bell using parts on hand.
The official name "New Revelation" was announced February 1931. So what the name was prior to 1931 ? Revelation? Yours is definitely not a Rudy.
http://collections.nmmusd.org/Archives/Holton/HoltonArchivePhotos.html
If they follow the Buescher Aristocrat naming convention, the "New" Revelation should be the older model, correct? That always struck me as strange. Maybe it was a new model so they called it a New Aristocrat and when it was no longer new it became just the Aristocrat? I always thought the New Aristocrat should be a new version of an existing or discontinued Aristocrat model.

·
4,780 Posts
If they follow the Buescher Aristocrat naming convention, the "New" Revelation should be the older model, correct? That always struck me as strange. Maybe it was a new model so they called it a New Aristocrat and when it was no longer new it became just the Aristocrat? I always thought the New Aristocrat should be a new version of an existing or discontinued Aristocrat model.
Lol if Holton was only that easy. 12:00PM is the new 8:00PM until ?? The New Revelation II ? Did Holton forget to add the II ??

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
King introduced the New Voll True saxes in 1930 and followed them with the Voll True II in '32 (the model that later became the Zephyr).

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.