Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Frank Holton & Co. tenor sax that has - Revelation, made by.. above the Holton name. According to the serial no. - 118552, it was made in 1935 - which fits, as my father played it in school about then. can anyone help me with info on the Revelation model? Was it a low end, school model or what ? Any idea of value - in pretty good condition. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,317 Posts
I don't have a Revelation, but FWIW I have a '52ish Holton 241 tenor that has a decent keyboard, but excellent sound (especially through the lower range). Have been playing it about 10 years.

Have had a tough time finding info on the Holtons - and generally not revered as a collector horn. The later Holtons were really copies of the Conn 10M series - the funky keywork went away (fine with me).
Enjoy the horn if it plays well.
Good luck - and post if you find anything.
John

Oh yeah, and I believe prior to the 1950's there were no "student horns" so all horns were "pro" to varying degrees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Holton 241 Tenor

hgrail said:
I don't have a Revelation, but FWIW I have a '52ish Holton 241 tenor that has a decent keyboard, but excellent sound (especially through the lower range). Have been playing it about 10 years.

Have had a tough time finding info on the Holtons - and generally not revered as a collector horn. The later Holtons were really copies of the Conn 10M series - the funky keywork went away (fine with me).
Enjoy the horn if it plays well.
Good luck - and post if you find anything.
John

Oh yeah, and I believe prior to the 1950's there were no "student horns" so all horns were "pro" to varying degrees.
Would be great to see how looks Holton 241 tenor octave mechanism...very nice built pro horn...just my octave mechanism post and main key who moves neck key is missing...any picture would help to rebuilt this nice horn...Jerry [email protected]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
Revelations were Holton's top-shelf model of the period...saxes, brass too. Revelation trumpets are pretty sought after.

The Revelation sax is basically the precursor to the 23X and 24X series Altos and Tenors.

It's really similar to a 241, 240, 243 Tenor...so, again, their top-notch effort.

Great horns, really. I am just finishing up a goldplated Tenor on my shop, to put up for sale. It has actually been the Tenor I have been playing for the past 7 years (Tenor isn't my main sax, tho).

I'd absolutely call it the equal of any 10M, Committee, 400, or Zephyr.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.