Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you post more photos ? Other side of sax, octave key mechanism, pinky table keys, engraving ???

Indeed if the serial = 19535 according to Felix's table it would be 1925, but that is a same-side bellkey horn and some of the details I can see look a bit unusual for a Holton.
Thank you for your reply.
I am out of town in these days but I will post some more pics soon.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That could be an early 1930s Collegiate. Some of these were missing the first digit (1) of the serial number, so that would make the serial 119535, dating it to around 1936. Or the OP just misread or mistyped the SN ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,732 Posts
That could be an early 1930s Collegiate. Some of these were missing the first digit (1) of the serial number, so that would make the serial 119535, dating it to around 1936. Or the OP just misread or mistyped the SN ...
I agree. What little I can see of the bell looks Collegiate. The LH pinky seems collegiate too. I'm guessing this is model #565

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Yep, it's a Collegiate--you can faintly see the engraving on the bell. I agree with Turf3---1940s (or later) horn.

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
1925 Holton Revelation C Melody. SN 208xx. Holton Perfected C Melody mouthpiece. Chewed up & spat out Holton case. Plays on older orange pads. I think I may see if I can shore up the case and give it a funky paint job till I can get a better one. It's actually pretty solid, it's the coverings and fabric that suck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Holton Owners.
I am finally back home and as agreed I post some pics of my sweet old iron. Serial number 19535. I thought it was a Revelation but someone suggested a Collegiate.
Thank you for your opinions

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
It appears to have "collegiate" engraved on the bell above "Holton" - I think I see "GIATE" in the third picture. The low C key, if I remember rightly, looks like that on the Collegiate II models, and was carried over from the Couturier/Lyon & Healy based Collegiate I. Also note the lack of a bis key, which may be feature of at least some of these. The missing first digit of the serial number also points in that direction. At this point I'm sticking with my original diagnosis, a 1936 Collegiate - a Model 565, as Mr. PigSquealer stated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It appears to have "collegiate" engraved on the bell above "Holton" - I think I see "GIATE" in the third picture. The low C key, if I remember rightly, looks like that on the Collegiate II models, and was carried over from the Couturier/Lyon & Healy based Collegiate I. Also note the lack of a bis key, which may be feature of at least some of these. The missing first digit of the serial number also points in that direction. At this point I'm sticking with my original diagnosis, a 1936 Collegiate - a Model 565, as Mr. PigSquealer stated.
Thank you very much Saxophender!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hi - I know little about Holton horns. Have seen one with both bell keys on the instruments LHS (please see attached - the only image I have) and am hoping this 'may' shed some light on it's vintage or model designation with regards to those of you who are intimate with the brand.

thanks in advance for any infromation or advice

regards from Melbourne - where due to the rain, is not covered in smoke.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,988 Posts
Hi - I know little about Holton horns. Have seen one with both bell keys on the instruments LHS (please see attached - the only image I have) and am hoping this 'may' shed some light on it's vintage or model designation with regards to those of you who are intimate with the brand.

Glenn
Hard to say without at least seeing the opposite side of the horn. If you can get (ask for) a few more pics it;d be pretty easy to ascertain.

Looks to be in nice shape. Holton Tenors are usually Beasts.

·
4,732 Posts

Glenn
Greetings Glenn,
Its very difficult to tell with just one picture. At the very least I can say it is a Holton. A very slim amount of the collegiate engraving can be seen on the bell. Extremely difficult to tell I'm guessing it has been buffed and re-lacquered. The end plug is missing. Be careful the octave lever does not become damaged prior to purchase. Where is the neck? For dating use member Laporta's list. https://www.saxontheweb.net/vintage/Holton-1917-1979.pdf
The case has been refurbished.
Happy you're getting some rain. Hope it doesn't turn into a mud mess.

Cheers from sunny Los Angeles,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Greetings Glenn,
Its very difficult to tell with just one picture. At the very least I can say it is a Holton. A very slim amount of the collegiate engraving can be seen on the bell. Extremely difficult to tell I'm guessing it has been buffed and re-lacquered. The end plug is missing. Be careful the octave lever does not become damaged prior to purchase. Where is the neck? For dating use member Laporta's list. https://www.saxontheweb.net/vintage/Holton-1917-1979.pdf
The case has been refurbished.
Happy you're getting some rain. Hope it doesn't turn into a mud mess.

Cheers from sunny Los Angeles,
Glenn
I am hoping to drive to the used music gear shop tomorrow for a better look. It is a 20+ minute drive for me. Asking price is $700 AUD. Having just yesterday paid out for a Kohlert 57 tenor and 50s Hohner President alto I ain't too keen on spending more right now. However, if its a decent Holton I can pay a deposit and collect in a month. I will advise. I kinda agree about an almost Collegiate type engraving but its just too hard for my eyes.

regards

·
4,732 Posts
I am hoping to drive to the used music gear shop tomorrow for a better look. It is a 20+ minute drive for me. Asking price is $700 AUD. Having just yesterday paid out for a Kohlert 57 tenor and 50s Hohner President alto I ain't too keen on spending more right now. However, if its a decent Holton I can pay a deposit and collect in a month. I will advise. I kinda agree about an almost Collegiate type engraving but its just too hard for my eyes.

regards
Well it's not like you're making an hour + drive to just take a sniff. As we all know it's difficult to truly tell condition from a picture.
The conversion to USD at today's rate is $461.72. Our economies are not the same but that's not high for a tenor of decent play condition. Everything is negotiable.
There will be a model number below the thumb rest. Three digits. If the deposit is refundable it could be worth securing while you do some research.
Happy GAS !

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Well it's not like you're making an hour + drive to just take a sniff. As we all know it's difficult to truly tell condition from a picture.
The conversion to USD at today's rate is $461.72. Our economies are not the same but that's not high for a tenor of decent play condition. Everything is negotiable.
There will be a model number below the thumb rest. Three digits. If the deposit is refundable it could be worth securing while you do some research.
Happy GAS !
YOU - are a very naughty boy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,988 Posts

regards
Well...FWIW....a Collegiate tenor in good playing condition has a market value of around $500usd and probably about the equivalent in Europe. A 'project' one, perhaps $200usd.

I do understand that old American horns are harder to come by Down Under so may be higher-priced....

The Kohlert is, by most yardsticks, a better horn...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Well...FWIW....a Collegiate tenor in good playing condition has a market value of around $500usd and probably about the equivalent in Europe. A 'project' one, perhaps $200usd.

I do understand that old American horns are harder to come by Down Under so may be higher-priced....

The Kohlert is, by most yardsticks, a better horn...
to be honest, and yes I have a 65 regent, my main interest is the two mouthpieces in the case - could be beat up pieces of junk, could be little treasures. As for the price - this includes a 20% commission to the seller.

Ok - back home - Collegiate serial 117xxx - 244 above that I think / re-lacquered (as PigSquealer suspected) micro-tuner mechanism on neck eg: a cork shrouded metalic pipe with locking nut. Selmer Jazz E metal mouthpiece (in good condition) fused to the cork of the removable mechanism. Other MP unbranded HR. Neck also had lots of dimples. Mechanics noisey and clunky. Pads hardened. Did not bother to test play. Store obvious to negotiate on price. IMO - not worth the trouble.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts