Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hi - I know little about Holton horns. Have seen one with both bell keys on the instruments LHS (please see attached - the only image I have) and am hoping this 'may' shed some light on it's vintage or model designation with regards to those of you who are intimate with the brand.

thanks in advance for any infromation or advice

regards from Melbourne - where due to the rain, is not covered in smoke.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Greetings Glenn,
Its very difficult to tell with just one picture. At the very least I can say it is a Holton. A very slim amount of the collegiate engraving can be seen on the bell. Extremely difficult to tell I'm guessing it has been buffed and re-lacquered. The end plug is missing. Be careful the octave lever does not become damaged prior to purchase. Where is the neck? For dating use member Laporta's list. https://www.saxontheweb.net/vintage/Holton-1917-1979.pdf
The case has been refurbished.
Happy you're getting some rain. Hope it doesn't turn into a mud mess.

Cheers from sunny Los Angeles,
Glenn
I am hoping to drive to the used music gear shop tomorrow for a better look. It is a 20+ minute drive for me. Asking price is $700 AUD. Having just yesterday paid out for a Kohlert 57 tenor and 50s Hohner President alto I ain't too keen on spending more right now. However, if its a decent Holton I can pay a deposit and collect in a month. I will advise. I kinda agree about an almost Collegiate type engraving but its just too hard for my eyes.

regards

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Well it's not like you're making an hour + drive to just take a sniff. As we all know it's difficult to truly tell condition from a picture.
The conversion to USD at today's rate is $461.72. Our economies are not the same but that's not high for a tenor of decent play condition. Everything is negotiable.
There will be a model number below the thumb rest. Three digits. If the deposit is refundable it could be worth securing while you do some research.
Happy GAS !
YOU - are a very naughty boy!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Well...FWIW....a Collegiate tenor in good playing condition has a market value of around $500usd and probably about the equivalent in Europe. A 'project' one, perhaps $200usd.

I do understand that old American horns are harder to come by Down Under so may be higher-priced....

The Kohlert is, by most yardsticks, a better horn...
to be honest, and yes I have a 65 regent, my main interest is the two mouthpieces in the case - could be beat up pieces of junk, could be little treasures. As for the price - this includes a 20% commission to the seller.

Ok - back home - Collegiate serial 117xxx - 244 above that I think / re-lacquered (as PigSquealer suspected) micro-tuner mechanism on neck eg: a cork shrouded metalic pipe with locking nut. Selmer Jazz E metal mouthpiece (in good condition) fused to the cork of the removable mechanism. Other MP unbranded HR. Neck also had lots of dimples. Mechanics noisey and clunky. Pads hardened. Did not bother to test play. Store obvious to negotiate on price. IMO - not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ahhh ! Case candy always sweetens the deal ;)
alas - not in this case (pun intended ;-) but.....one lives with hope. As mentioned earlier I have recently purchased a Kohlert 57 tenor with a HR mouthpiece and a 50s Hohner President alto with a metal mouthpiece and I have NO IDEA what these mouthpieces are / will be. Sometimes, just sometimes, heading off to the Post Office or that DHL delivery is better than xmas :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts