5,011 Posts
Oops forgot to officially join the club last year
1920 Holton revelation alto. Chicago silver plated
1930 Rudy Wiedoeft alto,silver plated with gold wash bell

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,011 Posts
Mr. Hartholt,

What a wonderful informative write up on your beautiful baritone. Obviously you have done your homework well. Thank you for including the pictures. I am curious if any engraving is still visible on the bell ? And how you became interested in a Holton baritone of all choices ? Welcome to club H !

·
5,011 Posts
Welcome here Willem. Your baritone is very nice. Thanks the finish appears to be nickel.
Soybean. I had no recollection of ever seeing a finish offered in Nickel. So I had a look here in the 1932 Holton catalog.
https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/590. See page 37 instrument picture and 38 specifications and finishes. It's really difficult to see the copy but I don't see Nickel listed as a option. Double clicking on the picture should enlarge it but it's not working on my iPad for some reason.

·
5,011 Posts
Willem,

You have a very beautiful engraving on your baritone.
These pictures from my 1920 alto show the simple beginnings of Holton. And 1930 Rudy Wiedoeft alto just a few years later. It’s amazing what a little cleaning will do. ;)

Attachments

·
5,011 Posts
That could be an early 1930s Collegiate. Some of these were missing the first digit (1) of the serial number, so that would make the serial 119535, dating it to around 1936. Or the OP just misread or mistyped the SN ...
I agree. What little I can see of the bell looks Collegiate. The LH pinky seems collegiate too. I'm guessing this is model #565

·
5,011 Posts
Hi - I know little about Holton horns. Have seen one with both bell keys on the instruments LHS (please see attached - the only image I have) and am hoping this 'may' shed some light on it's vintage or model designation with regards to those of you who are intimate with the brand.

thanks in advance for any infromation or advice

regards from Melbourne - where due to the rain, is not covered in smoke.

Glenn
Greetings Glenn,
Its very difficult to tell with just one picture. At the very least I can say it is a Holton. A very slim amount of the collegiate engraving can be seen on the bell. Extremely difficult to tell I'm guessing it has been buffed and re-lacquered. The end plug is missing. Be careful the octave lever does not become damaged prior to purchase. Where is the neck? For dating use member Laporta's list. https://www.saxontheweb.net/vintage/Holton-1917-1979.pdf
The case has been refurbished.
Happy you're getting some rain. Hope it doesn't turn into a mud mess.

Cheers from sunny Los Angeles,
Glenn

·
5,011 Posts
I am hoping to drive to the used music gear shop tomorrow for a better look. It is a 20+ minute drive for me. Asking price is $700 AUD. Having just yesterday paid out for a Kohlert 57 tenor and 50s Hohner President alto I ain't too keen on spending more right now. However, if its a decent Holton I can pay a deposit and collect in a month. I will advise. I kinda agree about an almost Collegiate type engraving but its just too hard for my eyes.

regards
Well it's not like you're making an hour + drive to just take a sniff. As we all know it's difficult to truly tell condition from a picture.
The conversion to USD at today's rate is $461.72. Our economies are not the same but that's not high for a tenor of decent play condition. Everything is negotiable.
There will be a model number below the thumb rest. Three digits. If the deposit is refundable it could be worth securing while you do some research.
Happy GAS !

·
5,011 Posts
to be honest, and yes I have a 65 regent, my main interest is the two mouthpieces in the case - could be beat up pieces of junk, could be little treasures.
As for the price - this includes a 20% commission to the seller.
Ahhh ! Case candy always sweetens the deal ;)

·
5,011 Posts
does anyone own a 1928 Holton baritone and measure the neck or send some photos with the measurements of the neck?does anyone own a 1928 Holton baritone and measure the neck or send some photos with the measurements of the neck?does anyone own a 1928 Holton baritone and measure the neck or send some photos with the measurements of the neck?
Be patient someone will help out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts