Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I heard that a friend of mine in Sweden was selling his old Holton tenor. It was in rough shape and would need a lot of dent and soldering work, but as I did not have any Holtons in my collection I decided to buy it. It turned out to be a Holton Ideal 475. I could not find much information about this model other than that it seems to be pretty rare. People have speculated in Holton sub-forum whether the model number of Holton Ideal tenor would be 472 or 475 – the latter is correct. According to LaPorte´s serial number list this Holton Ideal 475 tenor (sn. 117 xxx) was made in 1935.

Last weekend I got the overhaul finished with original style rivet pads. This one is my first Holton so I can´t comment how it compares to other Holton models, but I feel this is a wonderful tenor, very resonant and free blowing and ergonomics is better than e.g. in my Conn “Chu” (although I have made some ergonomic improvements to "Chu"). The only downside was that the keywork is really soft. I´ll (try to) attach some photos of this silver plated beauty..

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hello :)
It's good to see you posting on the forum!
The saxophone looks great! It's obvious that you've done some great work here.

I've never seen a 475 before. Seems to be a very rare beast. I have not noticed soft metal on the holtons that I own. That part surprised me a bit.
It's pretty similar to the earlier 2xx pro models.
Does anyone know anything about this model? It would be interesting to learn something new about holtons...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is an interesting finding Tryptykon!

The serial numbers are nearly one hundred thousand apart and they still look almost identical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts