Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a silver baritone saxophone and I'm trying to determine its age. The engraving on the bell is quite faint and the S/N is 12643. I am able to make out "Gretsch Commander Chicago Brooklyn U.S.A." on the bell

I was able to find pictures of the same model of bari sax on the pmwoodwind site that show better detail:
http://www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=4463&morepics=1

Questions
1. Is this Gretsch Commander Chicago-Brooklyn stencil made by Holton? If not, who made it?
2. Based on my serial number (12643), how old is it? Holton s/n date ranges are all over the place, it seems.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
my vote is for buescher true tone early series (no front f, button G#)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,499 Posts
Here's an old Holton splitbell. The original G# touch was a round pearl (I replaced it with a metal plate touch from a Malerne).

The bell proportions and keywork seems different. Also the keyguard feet on yours are oval...not a typical Holton detail, IMHO. I know Holton liked changing up their keywork fairly often, but I do not see a resemblence in the mechanisms between yours and mine.

I would be inclined to agree with Click that yours isn't a Holton, if it looks like the one in the link. I would also be inclined to say Buescher, because of the tubby shape of the bell and the fact that the font and arc of the serial number suggests Buescher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
I don't think any Gretsch saxes have panned out as being Holton stencils.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
I've seen other Gretsch Commander saxes that were EBICo-built Buescher stencils from the 1930s and early 1940s. This would seem to be one of those, from the earlier end of that range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts